Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need some WINALDL help....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Jun 28, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 K5 with a 350 tbi. I recently acquired the cables and adapters to hook my truck up to my laptop to find out whats going on with my engine. I am however having a problem with it. I cannot for the life of me get the data to stream into WINALDL. I bought the cable from onboard diagnostics inc. and it came with some instructions. It states that a simple test to find out if your cpu is communicating with your ecu is to start the hyper terminal program. When you start this, data should start streaming across the cpu screen. The instructions state that if data passes this test and starts flowing across the screen, then any datalogging program should work because the cpu and ecu are communicating correctly. My cpu passes this test...data starts streaming across the hyper terminal screen. However, when I open WINALDL, it gives me an error message of "cannont open COM1" everytime. I have made sure my usb adapter and WINALDL are set on the same com port and have even changed com ports to no avail. No matter what com port (com1,2,3, or 4) whenever I open WINALDL it says "cannot open Com port." I dont understand. Is it my winaldl or is something else going on here? Are there any other good datalogging programs out there? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Definitely sounds like a configuration problem with the computer.