Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need steering setup help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bikinnotdykin, Feb 18, 2004.

1. bikinnotdykin

bikinnotdykin Registered Member

I have a k5 w crossover highsteer on a dana 60 I just installed everything and want to know the procedure for adjusting the stops on the axle. Oh I rebuilt the whole axle so the factory stops are no longer there, I replaced w grade 8 bolts & jamnut. Also I read somewhere that if you hit the gearbox stops when driving it can severely damage the box, I don't want that to happen!!
    I am thinking 1st lazer align, 2nd adjust draglink to center steering wheel, 3rd jack the front, 4th back off the adjuster bolts, 5th turn wheel to gearbox stop, 6th adjust axle bolt to hit the stop just before the box hits it's stop. am I right???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. bikinnotdykin

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

That sounds like a good plan to me, other than the "adjusting draglink to center steering wheel" part. The draglink should be adjusted so you have full turning capability in both directions, not to align the steering wheel.

4. bikinnotdykin

thanks, my first time starting from scratch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif