Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Striping tape application HELP !

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by GruntHunter, Dec 11, 2006.

1. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

:o My body guy got everything done but I'm not at all crazy about they way he taped it. I think he painted it and applied all the clear coat, let it dry overnight and put the tape on the next day. He put on a silver strip and then a thin blue strip on top of that. The first weekend I drove it home I had one of the thin blue strips blow right off. He put another one on but I see all the ends peeling up. I'd like to have him pull all the tape off the front fenders and do them over but I'm afraid he may pull paint off and cause a bigger problem. I think that's what he's afraid of also and doesn't really want to do it.

Anyway, what's the proper way to apply striping tape. I was told by a couple of buddies that you're supposed to apply the tape and then clear coat over ALL the tape. When I showed it to by body guy he seemed to indicate he just wanted to dab a little clear coat on the loose ends only. Would he have to clear coat the entire side of the body to get it to match or just spray over the area where the tape is? I'm concerned that if he just paints over the ends then the rest of it will come loose later on. How is this supposed to be done or is this just some bad tape. I can just lightly roll my finger over the ends and it will peel right back.

HELP !

Dsc_1985.jpg

Dsc_1986.jpg

Dsc_1987.jpg

Dsc_1988.jpg

Dsc_1728s.jpg

2. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

I don't think that clear will stick to the tape stripe. I have always seen the tape laid after the clear has hardened. Maybe there was some wax or some type of polish on the body to prevent the tape from adhering like it should.

3. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

It was fresh paint. He put the tape on the day after he painted it so there wouldn't have been any wax or polish on it. Old tape maybe ? The only other possibility I could think of is that the tape must be on a roll and after it's laid out there may have still been some sticky tape residue left on the tape surface that the thin blue tape wouldn't stick to but yet I see the ends of the silver tape starting to curl up also.