Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need sugg. my k5 or 78 gmc 1-ton 4x4 van

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91k5NC, Apr 28, 2003.

1. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

alright found a 78 gmc 1-ton van for 800 still runs! thinking about taking running gears out of it and puttting them in my truck or should i make that my wheeling vehicle. if it is 1-ton or 3/4 will it have the 14-bolt and dana 60 or not. thanks drew

2. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

come on guys i know yhall know something about this, went and looked at it and has the 14-bolt but the front looks like a 10-bolt has 10 bolts in the cover but not the pattern of bolt like a 10-bolt. really need suggestion and info. thanks drew

3. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

i think that 1-ton vans have dana 60 fronts and the 3/4 tons have either 44s or 10 bolts the 14 bolt rear is wider than normal 14s and the spring perches wont line up

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

GM never offered full size 4WD vans from the factory. They have had various aftermarket 4WD conversion companies over the years that were authorized to do the conversion on a new van, purchased through a GM dealer. Years ago I had a '79 Dodge van that had been converted by Pathfinder, who I think is no longer in business. It was a 1-ton chassis, but the front axle they used was an 8-lug Dana 44. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wheeling in a van takes some getting used to, as there is a LOT of sheetmetal to dent. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But there's a lot more space in the back than in a K5. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

It could have anything under there since there was no 4x4 van ever offered from factory. I saw a Chevy van the other day with a driver side drop ford d44 up front.

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i would love a 4x4 van for work. do you have any pics??? i've never seen a chevy 4x conversion, only fords.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    i would love a 4x4 van for work. do you have any pics??? i've never seen a chevy 4x conversion, only fords.

[/ QUOTE ]
    come to Portland there are several running around town /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

9. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

thanks yall for the info, how hard is it to cut off and put new perches on, theis is a gmc if it makes any difference