Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need suggestions about suspension

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gary 86 K5, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

I just bought my blazer last week and it needs some suspension work. I have a couple problems with it. First off is in the front, the front springs are dearched and have i believe 3" blocks under them. I heard that its really bad to have blocks on the front so i want to get rid of the blocks and get some new springs. The other problem is that both rear srings have cracks through almost all the leafs so obviously i need to get new rear springs to! My question is what should I buy? I was planning on putting at least a 4" lift on anyways along with minimum 36" tires. Could someone tell me a good cheap lift kit to buy and what I should do about the rear springs. Im new to these trucks and really dont know that much about them. Thanks for any help guys!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

first off, do not drive that truck. it is not safe under any circumstance.

second: what do you want to do with the truck? mud romping? daily driver? rock crawler? trail runner?

answering these questions will help you get an idea of what type of suspension to build.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Gary 86 K5

im not driving it at all right now, i just want to get it ready to drive soon since ill be putting my camaro away in a couple weeks, i plan on doing alot of mudding and trailriding with my blazer, i would like to put at least a 6" lift on now that i think about it, i know the lift comes with front springs but what do i do for the rears? is it just stock springs, blocks and an add a leaf? thanks for any help!

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Easiest answer is to check out Tuff Country springs....they make complete kits for K5's and the springs are quite soft (flexy) and ride well too.

An off-the-shelf lift kit will also be your most cost effective solution.....I'm with Zakk, don't drive that truck the way it is...sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. Gary 86 K5

where could i find tuff county springs? im assuming that these are for the rears right? will i have any problems going with a 6" lift, im talking about steering components and brake lines

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know what shops are in your area but if you do a search for tough country and then look dealers near you you should find them.
    As for things needed with the 6" lift, definitely brake lines, and a steering arm as well as shocks but I guess you knew that...

7. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

Just go with a 4" lift with blocks in the rear, and the steering arm. and drop the transfer case. You can run small 35's on an 8" wheel with 4", and be alright most of the time. 4" is soo much cheaper in the long run than the 6". And if you want huge tires, just cut the fenders out. Ive learned that cuttin em out is the best thing you can do.

8. Gary 86 K5

what else will i have to worry about with a 6" lift? how do i go about dropping the transfer case?? btw i plan on running 38" tires and im planning on trimming the fenders too, thanks for the help guys!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Do a search on this stuff.You have 10 bolts diffs,front and rear.38" tall tires are gonna grenade them diffs!Stay with 35/36's.The lift Q, I would recommend an 4" all spring lift,www.roughcountry.com sells a decent kit with all springs,shocks,steering arm for under $500.If you go with the 6" lift,you are looking at alot more mods(i.e. dropping the t-case,longer driveshafts).You better check your gearing,before you get too far,you might need to spend some $ on geras with those 36" tires.We all have alot of info here and are happy to help.Start reading posts and you will learn alot.Have fun and welcome!

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you go with a 8" suspension lift kit, most of those come with rear springs. I've got a 6" lift, and sometimes wish I'd went with a 8". If you've got the funds, I think 8" would be the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif But you'll need to do other mods aswell. Recomend getting rid of those 10 bolt axles. Go 14 bolt full floating rear, and a Dana 60 in the front. You'll have to have new driveshafts made, so do the lift and axle swap at the same time. Keep in mind that the (1 ton axles) I mentioned require 8 lug rims. So you'll need to buy new wheels with the tires. List go's on and on......

11. Gary 86 K5

Thanks for the info!! Seems like modifying these is alot like my Camaro, you change 1 thing, then you have to change something else so it doesn't break. I'll search around and see if I can answer some of the questions myself. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif