Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need suggestions for radiator upgrade

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Jan 17, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I'm tired of the marginal cooling capacity of my stock radiator in my 1990. Not to mention it leaks. Is there an economical upgrade that will still let me use the stock shroud and have provisions for auto tranny? Thanks.

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I had cooling prob's with my radiator, so I ended up pulling 1 off a suburban with a 6.2 diesel. Alot larger, cheaper, and it basically bolted right in. Used my existing support and shroud, but shroud doesn't completely cover up radiator. Haven't had a cooling problem since.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 4gunz4x4z on 01/17/01 00:41 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm kinda curious as to what the later trucks (88-up pickups) used for radiators. GM was pretty standard on radiator size. For example, in the F-bodies (firebirds/camaros) they went to an aluminum radiator. Surprise, Surprise, it also fits in the A/G-bodies. (78-88 Monte Carlo, Cutlass, etc.) Its a one row radiator with MUCH better coolant capabilites. Wondering if the later trucks got an AL radiator that is the same dimensions as ours??

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

try 1-800-max-cool, ask them for the upgraded radiator for your application.........js

5. Here is the run down on my 4 core install PN\'s

I just put a 4 core in my 88 Suburban and it ran me about $200 for the whole enchilada. The 4 core PN 433730 was a new one I bought through Auto Zone for $179.00 and the upper mounting bracket PN 14018600 was GM along with the four rubber mounts PN 6264100 for the top and bottom. Easy install too. I hope this helps you out. E-mail if you have any questions. Not sure about the shroud.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!