Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need suggestions on career paths....(long and personal)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieBlazer, Oct 28, 2004.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm getting sick of college and working I can't keep both with sanity. A brief background is that I've been enrolled fulltime at LSU going on 5 years now I've changed majors twice and now just feel lost in the cluster. My original path was in electrical engineering in which I did fine, passed all the beginning classes that so many people struggled to get through with flying colors. On a great role and let personal issues drag my grades down one semester. Pumped for a change in my life I changed paths to Industrial Engineering, it seemed like more of my major anyway, much harder classes( I can achieve anything attitude) and the final product is more of a self employed employee that does more advising than anything, still in the big buck range. Two years into this I've come across two classes that I cannot seem to get through, and I know its mostly because I don't have the time to put into them like I should.

Like some people here I have the known CK5 addiction, it comes and goes like a "fix". My car hobby before this site put me in a job of selling auto parts. I've been doing that going on 2 years now, it has its highs and lows(dumb people) but mostly I don't find it challenging at all. I definately don't see it as career. Within 6mths of workign there I took on a 2nd Assistant position, basically ran the store, I was the "head manager" on duty when alone, I was often responsible for opening and closing the store on time, counting the safe, registers etc...a little exciting but the pay was still less than par for my lifestyle. I entered this position before people w/degrees in college and over some people who have been workign at this store going on 9 years!(a little something to brag about) Two months after obtaining that position I was offered the next position up which was salary, but because of full-time school and not seeking career I passed on it.

Back to school, so I'm still in school fulltime but to pay my bills I have to work a minimum of 25hrs a week. Bills split with a roomate but my portion usually equals $285 in rent about $175 in utilities / cable / cell bill and then gas /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and insurance. Welcome to the real world. Unlike my roomate and close friends I work for everything and take out loans for school as needed. I manage my time fairly well, I have little time for the truck, or extra cirricular stuff, but I make time. But 12hrs of school + engineering homework and working 25-30 hrs a week is more of a burden than it ever was working fulltime 50+ hr weeks as a manager. Which is where I run into the struggle for time to study hard for these two brutal classes.

I'm back to scheduling for next semester and now it almost boils down to 3 main options. Knowing what I know and who I know I could grab a half ass job whenever and wherever, and probably live happily ever after but I'd rather have a college degree first. So do I go for:
    1) a degree in anything
    2) switch back to electrical Eng. and fight it through
    3) fight with the same two industrial engineering classes for a 4th semester

I need to stay full time because it helps my insurance and I can cheat by staying on my parents med insurance until I'm 24...... (22 right now) My dad as of last semester offered to pay for my rent. I turned it down as I have too much self pride to have him paying for me to live, thats just how I am.

So I feel fairly well experienced with many things, I've worked many different jobs. I'm talented with hands on stuff, and am anxious to get out and prove to myself where I can go in this world.... just seeking some advice from someone who has been there before too...

Notice amongst all of this there is no g/f to be found as I feel like I am already too time deprived.

what do you think??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Wow, I wish I could offer advice but your situation is almost exactly like mine, so until I can figure myself out, I got nothing for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Best of luck though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I actually work at a university so I have seen this senerio a few times. You mentioned needing to stay full time to stay on insurance- yet refuse to accept money from your pops to pay rent. I can respect that- I was the same way in school. However, lets look at this in a different way. You want to graduate, I am sure dad wants you to graduate as well. For this to happen you need time to study to pass these two classes. Man, life is all about knowing when to say when and asking for help. Perhaps, tell your father that him paying your rent for the semester is just a loan- you will be paying him back when you graduate. This gets you the help you need, and you are still paying your own way. This will give you time to study and pass the classes. Think about it - it is a good compromise. You dad still gets to help his son, you get the time you need to study for your classes, and you eventually get out of school and get to work in your chosen profession. At least once a semester I see a student try to do it all on their own - refusing help- and not all, but a large majority of the time, the result is not pretty.
    Take a little hit to the old male ego, and ask for help. Nothing weak about that- just human.

4. BowtieBlazer

I was told exactly what you just said by my advisor last semester. I changed a few things stayed full time and pushed through almost twice as much work this time but it all falls out around now 2/3 of the way through the semester its like I can't take it anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I appreciate the advise, I'm trying to take note of whats important to me right now....and move along in my decision making

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you are getting to the real meat of the course- The basic's have been explained- now it is time for the application of the information that has been dumped on you. Now, it is time for a tutor. Sometimes people have a hard time turning information into practical application. This is where it is nice to have someone explain it in a different manner than the prof. - usually that is all it takes to click. Good luck.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, sounds like the story of my life. When you figure it out, good luck.

(Dead nuts on with the auto parts sales, manager, opening/closing store, counting safe, etc.)

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    3) fight with the same two industrial engineering classes for a 4th semester

[/ QUOTE ] And accept any money your folks want too help out with !!! You can keep track of how much and pay them back when you're bringing in the big bucks. Put your higher education first !!!!!

8. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

from reading ur posts it sounds like you are obviously quite the wiz when it comes to mathematics by your drive to be an engineer....so it's my assumption that the difficulty in pushing through some of the mathematical Everest size mountains are making you re-think your decisions...the rest of what you spoke of sounds like it's making it worst...

You're obviously a good problem solver as well. This also being a good trait of an engineer.

But now you have presented us and yourself with a problem that can't be answered through an equation. The verbal equation being "Life is pretty f*ckin' hard right now = choice". To bad "choice" can't be answered with a number. Only more choices!

I think you should continue w/ your Electrical Eng. Degree. You picked that major first because you were drawn to it for your own reasons. If you can sit and think and say you just don't want to pursue a double E anymore, than throw that choice out of the window. Now ur down to 2.

From a personal stand point, if you are that great at mathematics and you have already invested 5 years of college, have you ever thought about changing majors to Astronomy or Cosmology?????? If I had the math brain you have, i'd be chasing down that degree in a heart beat. What about Astrophysics, Physics, or the best of them all Quantum Physics!!! Then you can answer my M-Theory questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either way, you have a good thing goin...don't let the stress pile up...Sit back, smoke a bowl...think where you want to be in 20 - 30 years, and GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Another thing- if possible only take one of the hard classes per semester. Get to full time credits with the pre-req's and general course work you still have to complete for your program. I had a semester like this for my first degree- only way I could make it was only take one killer class each semester.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's some advice from an old dude:

FINISH college! Do whatever it takes. Park the K5, disconnect the internet connection, turn off the cell phone, take dads money, and STUDY. Average lifespan for an American male these days is around 85-ish and getting higher each year as medical advances keep being discovered. That means that statistically speaking you have at least 63 more years to spend living on this spinning dirt ball. Later in life you'll be VERY glad that you busted your a$$ for a couple of years so that you could spend the rest of them in far more comfort. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

And when you get out and start making some good bucks, contact me and I'll show you how to save and invest some of it so you can be comfortable even in retirement! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Time is your best friend when it comes to investing. The earlier you start, the better your chance of retiring in opulence. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BowtieBlazer

I appreciate all the kind words, and advice.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I've got a few things in mind and taking the one hard class at a time may be the ticket to getting things done, despite the hold up in time...I really do enjoy the college community, can't say I love school but I do enjoy class, eye candy, and the atmosphere and learning about anything I can find a practical application. I don't stress a whole lot just a bit frustrating to see the friends I started with getting out and moving along, I feel like the slow thinker when I am probably the only one who works and handles my own.