Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need suggestions on how to remove window tint.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BobK, Apr 3, 2003.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Any good methods on removing old window tint.
    I know about useing a razor blade but that's slow going and I have the two side windows on the top of my Blazer to do.
    I also know about the chemicals they have in the parts store specifically for removing tint....do they work though?
    Any other technique's that you know work.
    Thanks.

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Just removed my old tint couple weeks ago. I found the best method is to buy a 100 pk of the one sided razors, buy a scraper(cheap one) that uses razors from Home Depot and thats it. Change the blades every couple of minutes and it makes the job very quick. Do not use the junk removers. I have tried these and its just a mess. Leave it dry and change razors every couple of minutes and its easy.

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

the razor blade method worked for me, i removed all the back
    tint in less than an hour. you can you a blow dryer or a heat gun too if you want.

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

most of the time all you need is a razor to get the tint started then pull it off in big chunks. Then take regular window cleaner (widex etc) and spray it all over the gum left over the window.

Take your razor blade and scrape the goo off while wiping the blade off on a paper towel every few scrapes.

That's how I always removed tint when I worked at a glass shop.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) is what the tint shops use - someone said acetone too but not sure...........just soak a rag, wipe it on the tint and use the razor blade.........comes off real easy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

hi bob, i just actualy got a fixit ticket here in santa barbara for window tint, so i went to johnsons tinting (something like that with johnson in the title) and he just sprayed some spray (non scented) in it and used a razor blade by itself on the windows, it took about 15 minutes for driver, passanger, and both wind wings (little windows on doors) and i think it was like $20 or something /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. lisakcodner

lisakcodner Newbie

use a hair dryer

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

you mean yours isnt peeling off already?

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Those of you who have gotten stopped for tinted windows, how dark did you have them?

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

On SUV's and our trucks the law is anything behind the front seats can be as dark as you want. The front side windows can be no darker then 35%. That's a pretty universal law.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A cop once told me that his rule of thumb is that if he can't see if you're wearing your seatbelt or not, they're too dark. </font>

12. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    That would be a hell-of-a accomplishment as my 1st gen. only has lap belts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I got it done with a razor and some "Goo Gone".The Goo Gone was too get the adhesive off.
    Branndon,I wish I had seen your post yesterday.I would have taken it there.
    It took me about an hour each window.That stuff did NOT want to come off.My fingers are killin me today from holding the dull edge of the razor for 2 hrs. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

black... (they came this way and i didn't like it anyway)
    by the way this pic is chopped but it's the only one i have that shows the windows clearly
    [​IMG] [ QUOTE ]

Those of you who have gotten stopped for tinted windows, how dark did you have them?

[/ QUOTE ]

14. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Bob, Since I live in Tucson, AZ I would not consider removing it with all the sun we get but that aside. When I had mine installed by professionals they told me never use window cleaner that has amonia in it because that is what they use to remove the stuff with. I have not tried it but it would be a cheap and safe method if it works and they had no reason to tell me otherwise. If you try it let us all know how it works.

15. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

The CORRECT way to remove window tint is to mix a 50/50 of water and VINGER...start at one corner and start by usign your 50/50 mix in a old glass cleaner sprayer. Spary and then use a ravor to start peeling it away. The vinger will eat at the glue that ANY window tint has. Trust me, I have 5% on my blazer and have done this many many times on all of my trucks. Tickets in Georgia require you only to remove it and pay a small fine. The most obvious tint violatoion is to draw attention to your truck by having a big fat black strip across the windshield...also try ot always have your windows cracked or start letting them down when you get pulled over. Generally, troopers are the one that look out for window tint.