Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need suggestions on short front drive shaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jun 3, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I appreciate any suggestions. When ordered my lift I had the assumption that a 4" lift would NOT require new shafts. I have not researched or put any effort into considering the following;

When I put my BDS 4" lift on my front drive shaft ended up too short. I'm thinking it's a couple inches but I haven't really measured it out. I will measure it out tomorrow.

I would like to get things rolling on that ASAP and I'll have whatever I decide to do ordered first thing monday morning.

captcrunch gave me the following suggestions. I'm looking for more possible solutions, <font color=red>and also companies that make custom shafts!</font color=red> also need approximate costs for solutions offered.

<font color=blue>"Suoerlift has a 1" spacer you can use on the front. (That's what I'm doing). You can call up Ken's... I know they stock a good shared of longer d-shafts. You could also get the stock ones lengthed locally. Tom woods is making my rear cv so worst case senario you could talk to him."</font color=blue>

Wes suggested looking for some other GM driveshafts off junked vehicles, but problem is there really aren't any salvage yards around here that have that kind of part.

my next question is if I get a custom shaft made is there a way they can make it so that when I convert to an NV4500 the shaft can expand / contract enough lenght so I wouldn't have to buy a new shaft???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Go here <A target="_blank" HREF=http://highangledriveline.com/>http://highangledriveline.com/</A>. Jess is also a member of this site. Give him a call. Tell him you found out about it on this site. He will take care of you as well as any member here....Dan

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

i have the same problem with my 4" lift so im looking for solutions too. I know that i could get the driveshaft lengthened but i have never heard of the 1" spacer from superlift, could you give me anymore information on this.

Check out my 73 K5 http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

4. solowookie

I'll have to give me a call in the morning and ask him those questions... thanks for the heads up..

5. solowookie

that part in the blue was a quote from captcrunch... all the info you see there is what I know. you might want to send him a pm he's very helpful, and very knowledgable...

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I used to run one of those spacers, it's basically just a metal donut with longer bolts. If your current shaft is in good shape, its not a bad way to go. I removed mine when I put in the Dana 60.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. solowookie

I'm gonna try dropping the t-case and using one of these spacers... would hopefully get me by for a while until I can get everything together to work out the rest of the drive train issues... (nv4500, fixed yoke, and preferrable drive shafts all at the same time)

8. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Jeff,
    My four inch superlift, lifted 5.5 up front. I thought I would need longer shaft, but ramped it as much as she goes, and all was well. I did lower T-case by 1.5"), so plus a spacer and I bet it would be good to go.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

9. solowookie

hey thanks for the vote of confidence... after deciding to do the rear disk brake conversion etc. I wasn't very happy at the prospect of paying $300.00 for drive shafts yet. I'm sure I'm going to have to some time! LOL

10. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

11. solowookie

where the t-case bolts on there are 1" spacers on top of the frame. You can move them to the underneath part, or a lot of companies sell a t-case drop kit. I have a BDS lift, and I know BDS has a t-case drop kit for only $28.00.