Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Superduty Spec's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bullet, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Need Superduty Spec\'s

Just saw an awesome Ford F250 Superduty fer sale. It was a 2002 4 door SWB. Frome what I could tell, it was a 5-speed with the lever shifter transfer case. I don't know what engine was but it was badged with the Triton V8. My guess would be that its the 5.4L engine. Now, is it just me or is that a small engine for a big truck. OR, with the combined gearing of the man. tranny is it ok?

I've been looking around at some of the used SD around the area and I have seen the 5.4 engine is these trucks...or is the engine why the owners got rid of the trucks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Need Superduty Spec\'s

Well my dad has an 02 5.4 Super Duty with the Auto. Its not very impressive. His 94 TBI chevy towed better(in his opinion), both have the same gear ratio (3.73) but I think as well as him one of the problems with the Super Duty is the trans is too heavy duty for the motor. Doesn't get very good mileage and just all around I don't like it at all. Bad throttle response(its auto I just hate autos). I would be interested in driving the same truck with a 5 speed.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

what specs do you want? a 5.4 liter super duty is a pig, drives almost the same as a v10 SD if both have autos..but the 5.4 is your best bet if you dont plan to tow anything at all with it..

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well the t-case will ba an NV(forget the numbers) and i think the 5 speed is an NV4500. The 5speeds are durable but whith out the creeper (the six speeds have those) the 5.4 dosnt tow well. But it will pull, ford still makes thier motors like they did back in the day, gutless feeling put they pull.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    well the t-case will ba an NV(forget the numbers) and i think the 5 speed is an NV4500. The 5speeds are durable but whith out the creeper (the six speeds have those) the 5.4 dosnt tow well. But it will pull, ford still makes thier motors like they did back in the day, gutless feeling put they pull.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NV 4500 indeed does have a creeper first gear. No 3/4 or 1 ton truck whether it's 4, 5, or 6 gears is without a creeper gear.

The six speed designed more for a Diesel engine with a narrow powerband. They didn't add a creeper gear, just less space between gears and more of them.

The 5.4 IMO is way too small of an engine for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, unless, as said earlier, you don't plan on ever using it for anything. Getting a 3/4 ton truck with 3.73s would be a mistake to begin with unless it was Diesel.

I would certainly pass on it.

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

What I am saying is that I am interested in a HD truck, wether it be a Chevy HD or a Ford SD. I know all there is about the Chevy HD's. But I know a limited knowledge about the new Ford drivetrain.

(I could be farting into the wind on this...) But, If I do get a HD truck, whatever brand, its going to be used for Towing the Jimmy to the trails. Maybe even Moab... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I am more interested in the Desiels but I was just wondering if I should waste my time on this truck.

Thanks

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Since when has Ford had NV4500s? Only Dodge and Chevy have that. Ford's run ZF transmissions. In a quick search the present one seens to be the ZF 47.

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

dont waste your time on it...just hold out for a bigger motor or a diesel...you will be alot happier with it if you plan on towing with it..it would kinda suck having the tow rig having a smaller motor than your blazer /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Confedneck

you dont want a ford posuper duty unless its diesel..

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

In my opinion the SD Fords are really good HD trucks . The 5.4 liter motor sucks as far as towing goes though ! If your plans include towing what a 1 Ton truck is expected to than pass on the small Ford gas motor.
    The 5-speed in the SD's are not NVG4500's they are ZF's and use aluminimum cases but are fairly strong. The T/C is a NV 271 and it is extremely strong.
    The SD's do make great tow vehicles if equiped with the Powerstroke and 6-speed. JMHO.....
    Good luck , Tom

11. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well then i guess im just talking from my a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif(i dont know anything about new stuff, sorry)(i whent to fords website and they do use ZFs, i dont know where NV came from /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)
    My only exp whith towing is whith my 4.9L ford and it towed a 9,000lbs trailer whith minimal problems (hills on it would slow perty down perty good) but it pulled no probs. But i would probly stick whith what you know, you would probly be more satisfied that way anyway.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

same as I said, same gear ratio between the ford and chevy my dad had and he liked the Chevy for a tow rig way better. My dad bought the Ford cause they gave him a real good deal at the dealership(even more on his trade of his Chevy), and he didn't like the new Chevy Gas motors, thinks they wind up too much in teh RPMs. He really wanted another 350 powered Chevy but since they don't make them anymore it sent him looking.

13. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

JMHO, I would look for one with a Powerstroke diesel. Like said before the 5.4 are dogs in the superduties. The power of these diesel's are just amazing and there are tons of aftermarket support to make them even better. Good luck on whatever you decide on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    same as I said, same gear ratio between the ford and chevy my dad had and he liked the Chevy for a tow rig way better. My dad bought the Ford cause they gave him a real good deal at the dealership(even more on his trade of his Chevy), and he didn't like the new Chevy Gas motors, thinks they wind up too much in teh RPMs. He really wanted another 350 powered Chevy but since they

That is just plain ignorant.

The new Chevy V8s have longer, higher, flatter torque curves than any of the previous V8s. Yes, they peak out at 4,000 or so, but they make 90% of that at idle.

I don't know how many times that has to be covered before people stop focusing on peak numbers and realize that the Chevys are just as much of stump pullers as the new Fords are.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know that but he test drove the damn trucks and found he had to stomp it more than he liked to get the truck to go. I still don't get why trucks keep getting "better" but not being much better on gas? We can make 350 hp but not 18mpg from the factory?

16. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

7.3= good motor that will run for ever even if you stomp the piss out of it,
    5.4= ok motor better then a 4.6 but you dont EVER want to put spark plugs in one. (they are pretty bad ass with the lightning blower on em though)

17. Confedneck

plugs in a 5.4 are easy, 35-40 minutes tops, with wires..

18. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

19. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    plugs in a 5.4 are easy, 35-40 minutes tops, with wires..

[/ QUOTE ]

The year I did must have been different, and it was in a van, had to take off the fuel rails to get the coils out then had to pull out the boots then the plugs were cake.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I know that but he test drove the damn trucks and found he had to stomp it more than he liked to get the truck to go. I still don't get why trucks keep getting "better" but not being much better on gas? We can make 350 hp but not 18mpg from the factory?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason is that trucks are for working. If you want an econo box, the big three sell them and so do the japanese and germans in this country. Trucks aren't made to get good fuel mileage, they're made to work. They're not going to continue to get better mileage...as time progresses, they're going to get harder working and more dependable and that's about it. This is especially true for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, which is expected to be a work truck its whole life. Just cause the woman next door has a soccer mom truck that never has pulled anything with four doors and three baby seats doesn't mean that the other 80% of the truck customers aren't using their trucks for their intended purpose.