Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED T-CASE HELP FAST....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Mar 15, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well I was gonna finish the install of a new 208 I picked up cheap...I had a new gasket on, muscled it into place, and got the bolts started and tightend the thing down...Then as I was hooking up the strut-rod, I was fooling around with there rear output shaft and it turned freely..."OOOPPPS" I htought, I shifted the t-case into neutral during the install...I made sure it was in 2wd...the damn thing still turned freely? "What the deal" I thought to my self...I pulled the whole thing out and compared the input of my new t-case to that of my old t-case...THEY ARE DIFFERENT....S%&T...The input of the new t-case is quite a bit larger than that of my old...I didn't bother to count the splines cuz I was too pissed off....NOW MY QUESTION...

How hard is it to replace JUST THE INPUT shaft and gear on the 208...I think the 208 I am trying to install is from like an 85 K5...The input I need to put in OBVIOUSLY has a smaller Inner Diameter smaller but the OD appears the same (I just counted the one I NEDD TO PUT IN and it is a 27 spline, so I am assuming that the one in the new t-case is a 32 spline)... cam ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME OUT...I NEED TO GET THIS TOGETHER SO I CAN GO BACK TO SCHOOL....

Chris

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

The 208 you just tried is probably off of a 4 speed manual tranny. I'm sorry but ive never done that input swap. What happend to your old transfer case?

3. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I have an extra 208 with the smaller input shaft 27 spline? Where exactly are you? Mine works great but i swapped it out for the 205 but need the 32 spline for my other truck. Possible trade?

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am in Denver, CO...My old t-case ate it...The mode fork (the one towards teh front of the case) was somehow out of alignment and got machined down to next to nothing by the little shift ring thing near the plaentary gear... and two of the gears are shot (the main chain sprocket and the sycronizer ring) but aside from that it was in pretty good shape (oh and the case is jacked...)I am trying to work a deal for a new burban...if it goes through, maybe we can arrange the swap 1bigk10....any more input....

Chris

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

YO ITs not hard at alll , just crack it in half carefully , dont take anythin off the shaft tho !! just pull out the shaft and shift forks and planetary and then the input swap it and stick it all back together amd seal it up ..