Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need t-case ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Nov 12, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I got in an accident on friday. Hit a non moving car going 55mph or so. I thought all I had was some body damage and bent the tie rod, but I went out there today and saw red stuff under the t-case. The rubber mounts under the transfer case had moved up. Then I noticed there is a huge crack in the transfer case. [censored]. When will the bad luck stop. So now I need ideas. I assume it can't be driven. I'll also assume the case cant be fixed, since its cracked very badly. What case should I replace it with? I have a 305, 700r4, a cracked np208, 10 bolts, and 33s. Probably go 35s next. I would like something thats not gong to crack, but has low gears. Thanks.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

2. Well, if you're looking for bombproof, you can't go wrong with a NP205. I think the gears on this one are a bit higher (lower numerically), but it is an awesome t-case. All-iron, all gear. No chains to stretch. I will eventually replace my NP203 with a 205.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well quite honestly you might as well just replace the 208 with another 208. They are a pretty strong case, and I doubt hitting cars at 55 Mph is going to be a regular thing [​IMG]. This would be the easiest and most cost effective fix. Unless you want to be getting new driveshafts, different crossmembers and all the realted work, just stay with the 208. I busted the T-case adaptor for my 205 by skying the truck, just proves that anything can be broken.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Would a NP241 bolt in? Then I could put a fixed output on at a later date. No, running into cars at 55mph is not normal for me. I am kinda wondering how it broke.

Brian

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Theres a guy here in Tucson that smashed an '81 and he's parting it out. Nothing I needed, but he said it had a rebuilt t case(208) and tranny. I still have his # if you're interested.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks, but insurance is covering it, so I will probably get one from the dealership.

Brian

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Jimmyjack, How much does he want for it- Never can have enough spare parts[​IMG]. Send private with any info.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

8. bherring

bherring Registered Member

Hey your t-case broke because the front axle can get knocked backwards and transmit force through your drive shaft and into the weakly-housed 208 aluminum case. After a wreck like that I'd be sure to do a thorough inspection of EVERYTHING. Take a look at the front leafspring center bolts. They'll contort and break under loads in the horizontal direction. Sorry about the accident... I know how you feel... I just rolled mine about a week ago. Still lost about how to repair. Possible S-10 body swap. Any info appreciated. Thanks - Beck.

81/350/350/208/D44/14B

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

It is getting a complete inspection from a well trusted shop. They have already determined the frame is bent.

Brian