Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need TBI advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Nov 24, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I'm yanking my TBI 350 in favor of a carb'd 496. I've got the motor out and the actual ECU. Now... How the heck do you get the wiring out intact? or do you? My intent is to pull it as complete as possible and sell it here. Is it worth the trouble? I can't tell where all the wires all go up in the dash. Do I need to yank all that out or what?

Things to consider:

Headlights, brake lights, blinkers, etc - must work, prefer stock switches
    backup lights - must work, will be swapping to manual VB and ratchet shifter
    Ignition - want to swap to push button anyway, not a big deal. don't care if key works
    Wipers - must work, prefer stock switches

all the wiring in the truck seems to be all tied together. I really thought things would be more separated than they are given that the only thing the ECU did was control the motor and emissions crap.

Anyone got any links or advice on what to do? thx

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the harness that comes in from the passenger side can be completely eliminated, install a toggle switch and relay to the BATT terminal on the dizzy to supply is 12v. easiest way would would be to go from the terminal on the back of the alt for power, then tap into the fuse block somewhere for the trigger wire for the toggle switch/trigger wire for the relay. this would eliminate a long run of wire into and back out of the cab, you'd only need a small wire to trigger the relay.

your ratchet shifter should come with instructions on how to modify the backup lights, if not, may need to put them on a toggle switch too.

wipers and headlights should be on a separate harness ( or harnesses ) that come from the drivers side of the firewall.

3. SkysTheLimit

OK, so the harness that comes through a big rubber grommet looking thing and seems to have a fair amount of wiring in it can be nixed. How does that grommet come out? just pry it?

What function would the toggle to the dizzy provide? Is that the equivalent of putting the key in to the RUN position? Then a momentary button to activate the starter?

the wiper and lights plug into a harness right below the brake booster but part of that harness runs into a big trunk that joins up with the other harness and eventually seems to go to everything (injector hookups, other various plugs).

thanks a bunch. i feel like im in a bit over my head.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the toggle would be to kill power to the coil, without doing so, you'll never shut it off. i just assumed that you were going to all switches, since most that convert to a push button starter do.

take it a little at a time, i felt overwhelmed when i eliminated the ESC from my 86. take your time, and think things through, and you'll be fine.

5. SkysTheLimit

Thanks Beater, I really appreciate the help. I had planned to have a toggle for Run/Stop and a momentary for start. I was just clarifying that.

I got the harness out. Just have to solder on some blade connectors to hook the wipers back up to where they were on the firewall. The connections were on the same block as the motor's harness. I saw how the headlights and stuff were on separate blocks and I was able to plug them back in no problem.

Now I just need to get in there and paint everything up nice and purdy and then drop the beast in.

thanks again.