Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need temp frt locker! Weld the 60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jul 18, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a few trips to make this year that I will need a front locker... and I've only got a month to prepare. I still need to relocate my rear shocks, buy 2 36" TSLs (2 of mine are nearly shot), and buy trail parts IE spare 1350's etc.

SO - my question is... does anyone see a problem with welding the front? I know its been done, and most of the time people warn of how undriveable it will be in the rain/snow in 4WD... but my truck rarely sees 4WD on the street. And on the trails, I can have a spotter unlock one side if I need to make a sharp turn.

Should I do that to my D60? I plan to eventually get some kind of REAL locking device... but I can't produce that $$$ and purchase everything for my runs within one month. Suggestions?
    /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you going to Moab? The traction on that sandstone is pretty incredible. I think a welded front diff would have you wrestling with the steering wheel most of the day. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Moab... well... I don't think so. I am seriously bummed about it... but I don't think I can make it. The money that I saved for the trip was used "other places" and its just not going to happen this year. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif:(:( I was really bummed when I figured that out... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

But anywho... I still need a front locker! To weld or not to weld! That is the question! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Without some kind of hydro assist steering, turning with a locked/welded front diff will be difficult if you're not moving much. But, remember how much fun those hills were in Disney with an open front diff? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I say do it, and just muscle the wheel around on those tight turns /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BIGJ

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're gonna play in the woods with me, it'd be a fairly bad idea to lock the front unless you want to hit a tree. I was going to do it but I chickened out now. On some trails wide open is the only way you keep from getting stuck and sometimes turning is involved at the same time.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The only way that I would want a spool or welded front diff is if I had the t-case twinsticked so I could just use front wheel drive to make turns sharper. You could always unlock a hub, but do you use a spotter on every sharp turn? It's going to get old getting out and unlocking a hub every time you need to negotiate through a tight spot. </font color>