Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need the CK5 Brotherhood's Help.....MS150 Bike To The Breakwater Event 2006

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Greg72, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

!! UPDATE !!

Thank you....to everyone who wished me well and contributed to this years fundraising efforts. I just wanted you all to know that last weekend (Aug 5th & 6th) was the official event and the weather was great for riding.

This years MS150 was a great event, and YES.....I did make it the whole way again (actually, I got lost once and ended up doing an extra 10 miles!)

[​IMG]

This year.....for the first time, my skill at "trail repairs" were put to the test during the MS150. My uncle Tim (photo above, on right) was involved in a small skirmish with another rider at the beginning of the Sunday ride (too many bicycles, not enough road!) and damaged his leg support on the left side. It's a simple U-shaped piece of aluminum and it had cracked almost 100% of the way around the tube and had no strength to hold his leg up....it certainly would not have survived for the entire day's ride without a lot of help. :eek1:

As you can imagine, on the side of the road there isn't much available for repairs...and our saddle bags are not filled with glorious amounts of tools (or a TIG welder!) so creativity is the key. I figured that trying to support the broken tube with both internal and external splints would be the best answer. I took a 10mm combination wrench and jammed it into the hollow tube to prevent it from drooping, and then began the "duct tape" process to lash it to the the front fork area below it. This involved a small donation of tree branches from the side of the road, and a 12mm wrench provided the correct support on the outside of the broken tube. The result was a surprisingly strong repair!!! All that we needed to do was add a small amount of foam padding (for comfort) and Tim was back in the game..... :thumb:

It was a fun experience this year, and the fact that I got to use some of my 4x4 improvisational skills too made it more of an adventure than usual.

Thanks again to everyone who supported the ride. I am really sore (even three days later) but it's something that I plan to do every year from now on....being a part of such a good cause is a feeling that's hard to describe.

:usaflag:

[​IMG]
    It's hard to asking someone to make a donation. But, today I’m writing to you about a cause that’s important to me and a cause that I know you will want to support. I have decided to take steps in the fight against multiple sclerosis (MS) by joining the Blue Rock Industries MS 150 Bike to the Breakwater and I’m asking you to join me in this important fight by sponsoring me.

What if everyday you woke up not knowing if you'd be able to get out of bed or hold your child? For many people with multiple sclerosis, this is their reality.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) usually strikes adults in the prime of life - between the ages of 20 and 50. It is a chronic disease of the central nervous system affecting the brain and spinal cord. One new case of MS is diagnosed every hour. It comes and goes unpredictably, leaving people to wonder, "Will I become paralyzed, blind or have trouble walking? Will I be able to raise my family and continue my career?"

I have a goal of raising $1500+ to support the National MS Society. I am asking for your help in reaching my goal.

This year for the second time I will be riding alongside my father, my brother-in-law and uncle (who has been living with MS for many years). They have been doing these 150-mile rides every year, and now due to my own geographic closeness to the event (and my family) I am proud to be joining the team again this year.

You can find more details about the organization and the event here:

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//MEM/personal/default.asp?pa=52582411&pd=MEM0EMS120060805STJ

To Sponsor me, please make checks payable to the National MS Society and mail them to me at:

Greg Blanchette
    399 Chapman Rd.
    Keene, NH 03431

(or)

PayPal a donation to:

gregblanchette@netscape.net

Thanks again to all who contributed last year… I was able to raise almost $1500 with the help of CK5 brotherhood, and this year I’d like to be able to say that the generosity was even greater!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I'd very much like to say yes but we'll have to budget that. When is the ride?

3. Greg72

The ride is on August 5th & 6th. That doesn't mean that you have to donate beforehand either, as long as you commit to make a contribution. I will followup with all of my sponsors in the weeks following the event, to collect all of the money so that I can send it in.

Some donations have already started coming in, so THANK YOU to those who have already stepped up to help! :usaflag: :thumb:

4. Greg72

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Paypal coming at ya.:D

6. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Paypal sent and a lil bumpity bump :waytogo:

7. Greg72

I have already heard from a lot of you privately, and have received many donations already.......you folks are AWESOME!!!! :thumb:

Please consider making a pledge if you can....even if it's only $5. There are so many people here, that it really adds up quickly.....even when it comes in a few bucks at a time.

FYI - These donations are tax-deductable too, so not only do you feel good about doing it, you could get to write it off on your tax return!!! :usaflag:

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya'll didn't forget this did you.;)

9. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

Ok pretty quite around here....did the ride kill ya? Paypal sent....if your still around that is :wink1:

10. Greg72

TTT.....see opening post for new information! :usaflag:

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well done that man!:D

And a ttt for anyone else who'd like to contribute, it ain't too late and you know he did it now too!:D