Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need the Skinny on D60 Dually to Single tire D60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cjjones, Apr 7, 2007.

1. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

I was wanting to know the difference in the D60 dually to a single wheel D60, are the axle's the same length? Same width wheel to wheel? I thought I heard that the only difference is the drum's??

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

The difference is in the hubs, tou need to find someone with D60 SRW hubs, or you can mod your DRW hubs to work, but this is recommended as a trail only mod. Pirate has a good description of this in their D60 Bible.

3. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

Thanks, do you know for sure if the width of the axles are the same not sure how to describe, but inside to inside of the axle, not where the wheels mount, but the backing plates.

4. Speedo

Speedo 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Everything about a Chevy Dana 60 front axle is the same, between a srw and a drw, except the bearing hub assy.

Gus

5. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

I need info on the rear,

Second part of question needed, these D60's are out of Ford's, does anybody know if they are the same spring perch width's as the Chevy?

6. Speedo

Then you need to include more information, what application, year, BOM number. There are too many different 60s for the amount of information that you have included.

Gus

7. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

Sorry, not sure much about the axle, the tag has 3 73 D5UA EB on the top and 603594-12LS on the bottom line. I understand the 3:73 ratio but what does the rest mean.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Speedo

Ok, here's what I found, 603594-12 is a '75.5-'78 E-250 van model 61 ff rear axle. It uses a 37560-3 rh axle shaft and a 37560-4 lh axle shaft. It has a 3.73 ratio and came with a Trac-Lok. Rh axle shaft is 1.31-30 spline, is 33.77 inches long and has an 8 on 3.96 bolt circle, the lh is the same except the length is 36.49 inches long.

As far as your question about the difference between a srw 60 and a drw 60 rear axle, the only one that I'm familiar with the backing plates are closer to the center of the axle and the drums are more cone shaped for wheel clearance.

Gus

9. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Speedo, where did you find the info at, I tried to look and couldn't find anything?? Do you know if any parts are interchangable with a D60 from the D61??

10. Speedo

I've got some manuals that cover some of the stuff that is hard to find online.

Dana 61 stuff takes some combinations of parts to make things work from what I have heard but things are possible. I've never done anything with them but I might have to do a little research to find out what it takes to make them work. I've also read that most 61s come with spindles that have a large enough i.d. to take a 1.50 axle.

Gus

11. cjjones

cjjones 1/2 ton status

I picked this axle up for $80.00 thinking it was a Dana 60 from the guy, so now I am wondering about when I get a D60 what interchangable parts are there. Do you think that the Trac-Loc will work in a D60??