Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need the truth! Cross over steering and what bax to use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Feb 4, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ok, I always heard that you need a 2wd box for the cross over steering set up.

Then I hear every once in a while that you can use the 4wd box. And now a post in the ORD forum makes this statement again.

What is the truth here?

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

from what i understand if you use the 4wd box you have to take it apart and change the output shaft to make the way it turns different...

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Now, from what I understand the only reason you change it, is for the splines on the shaft, not the rotatiion.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

maybe so, i was under the impression you need a box that rotates perpindicular to the frame and body instead of parallel to the body and frame...

Later

Just tap it in...tappity tap tap...

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I think where the confusion comes in is that a lot of people will take the shaft out of a 2wd box and install it in to a 4wd box. As far as I am aware there is not a arm that will work with the 4wd output shaft. The way the 4wd shaft attaches it can not be clocked the way it would need to be to work. The bolt that locks it on is not in a location that will allow a custom arm without machining the shaft. As plenitful the 2wd boxes are it not worth the expence to make a custom part.
    The other reason they will swap the shaft is the 2wd box uses different fittings for the hoses for some reason. So basicly the shaft swap saves them from having to buy the hoses.
    When I got a box I got the power steering box and the pump, hoses the works. Still haven't done the conversion but I'm close. All I need it to machine the knuckle and get the drag link.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Buy a 2wd shaft and install it in your 4wd box. No need to even remove the box- it can be installed while the box is mounted to the frame. Then install the Ford pitman arm. This arm can be indexed in 4 diff locations on the 2wd shaft. Index the arm so the movement is "left to right" versus the factory "front to back" movement. This is a very simple job. Just remember to adjust the backlash.
    **One thing to remember: You cannot install the 2wd shaft with the Ford pitman arm and NOT do the crossover. You must complete the crossover conversion. The plane of rotation is different and will not work.

thebigdaddyof2

7. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

Do you have a part number or application for the new shaft and pitman arm? How about new seals for the 4wd box?are they needed? Should I rebuild the whole box?
    Thanks

'84 K30, 6" suspension, 3"body, 350, 350, NP205
    D60, 14 FF W/Detroit, 4.56 Gears, 35" Ground Hawgs

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

The shaft you will need is a GM truck 2wd shaft and the pitman arm is for a '78 to '79 Ford F150. Use the dropped pitman arm- Trailmaster PA19 from Summit Racing if you have 4 or more inches of lift. Seals and rebuilding the box is up to you and the condition of your box now. I didn't rebuild mine but that's because it's in great shape...

thebigdaddyof2

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Can't help on rebuilding the box. However, stock pitman arms from a late 70s Ford Van offer about a 3" drop and are cheaper than the SuperLift drops like BigDaddy was mentioning. There are 2 types, one is sorta small, the other is big and beefy. I'll let you figure out which one you want... [​IMG]

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.