Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Timing Help Quickly!!!!!!PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jhellwig, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Ok I am trying to make sure my blazer is times correctly but I can't get to the dumb timing tab to clean it off so I can tell where I am at. . My fingers are to big and wont bend right. The tab is semi clan as is and I can't see any indication of numbers on it. Anyone got an idea of what tooth I should be at or am I asking something that is model specific. It is behind the water pump on a 1983 305.

Is it esential that I get the motor to the rpm that the emission tag or is it ok just as long as I pull the vaccume advance?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  2. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

if you can't see the marks on the balancer, use a piece of soap stone, and run it over the marks on the balancer, kind of dust it off and then you should see the marking of the soap stone in the recesses of the balancer. Hope that helps!!

3. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

The mark on the balancer is no problem.

It is the ones on the tab that I can't get to.

4. kram

kram Registered Member

o degrees

does this help

mark.jpg

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Why yes that does help me.

Although mine tab is more in the center of the cover but that shouldn't matter. It has the same goofy saw tooth patern on it.

Now how common is it for the timing chain to wear out? When it gets bad can it slip a tooth or does it just go ape?

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I have changed a few worn out chains. One ate the aluminum cam gear (olds motor) and allowed it to slip there, making timing it crazy. Others, the chain stretched enough to slap in the cover. Yes, when they wear out crazy things can happen to your timing. It won't be visibly noticeable with a timing light because it will change the cam timing. You'll be trying to adjust the timing and it will always run like crap.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Your timing plate is different because you have a 305. Mine is the same way.

Just set the timing so that the mark on the HB falls in the middle of the largest cut on the plate. Timing chains do wear out in time, they are very easy to change and not too messy.

8. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Thanks.

Now I just have to find where the clicking is comong from in the passenger side head and fix the bac kfire through the carb at over half throtel.

9. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you're not my alternate personality... LOL... sounds like my same problem. clicking on passenger side head and the same type of backfiring...

Maybe I'll get it figured out soon :eek1: I'm gonna try to get a vaccume gauge soon and see if that tells me anything.
    thanks,
    James

10. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I just solved my clicking and backfiring problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I did was pull the valve cover and low and behold there was a lose rocker arm on the exhaust of the number 2 cylinder!!!!!!!!!!

Timing was also a big help is aliviating the sevarity of the backfire before I found the main cause of it.