Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need tips for body removal.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, May 11, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I am starting on my K5 project very soon but I am not so sure how to start it. The body is rust-a-f**ked so i am trashing that and building the frame and suspension. Here are some ideas that may work, whats the most efficient easyest safest way?

Should I cut up the body into sections if i can find a torch?
    Should I buy a chain hoist and lift it in my barn accross the main crossmember?
    Should I tow it to a scrapyard and have them use like a fork lift to take it?
    Should I set it up on my driveway and hold the body up on jackstands and roll the frame from under it and have a flat bed tow truck take it away?

Help! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Around here you can get a crane to swap both bodies for about $60.

If you can't do that I would get out the sawzall and start cutting it up. You can dispense of it easier this way.

When puting the new body on I would just build a temp body stand and roll the frame under it. You can cheaply weld up a couple A-Frames to hold the body up.

Good Luck

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I had bought a rusted 75 blazer just for the frame, then used my body. I literally sawzawed an entire blazer body, took the doors, hood and tail gate off then I just started cutting it into sections. The bed was really easy just make shure you put blocks between the body and frame. If you can use some thing better than a sawzaw it took about 8 hours /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tips, I will buy a sawsall and do it that way. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'v used most of your methods
    [ QUOTE ]
    Should I cut up the body into sections if i can find a torch?

[/ QUOTE ] thats how I got rid of the stock Willy's stuff and some of the blazer parts
    [ QUOTE ]
    Should I buy a chain hoist and lift it in my barn accross the main crossmember?

[/ QUOTE ] not to stable unless you use two hoist [ QUOTE ]
    Should I tow it to a scrapyard and have them use like a fork lift to take it?

[/ QUOTE ] thats how i got rid of the 78 burb body, drove there drove home,LOL [ QUOTE ]
    Should I set it up on my driveway and hold the body up on jackstands and roll the frame from under it

[/ QUOTE ] thats where the willy's body is now, expect I made a frame work structure out of limbers and it is holding the body up so I can roll the new frame under it.

-Jeremy