Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need tips for replacing front pan gasket with timing chain cover

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Aug 28, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I figured out the front to pan bolts had to come out to get the timing cover off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Now I have a timing cover gaskter set and it has a new seal in the box for the front pan... whats the best/easiest way to get this to seal back up and go back in without major hassell /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I wish it was easy... I did mine on my NEW crate motor.

The timing tab was the wrong one supplied. So I used my old "Factory cover" I went though 2 sets of gaskets to get the leak to stop.

A small tip I was told by an old race car guy.

Take the Lip that the rubber gasket sits in on the cover.. and Grind off part of the channel. The part closes to the crank, its about 1/2" tall. I took a grinder to it. And then apply some RTV to it and set the new rubber seal on the chanel. Let it dry while off of the engine. for some time to cure. then install but also add some extra RTV to the oil pan. in both corners. they are your worst enemy.

If you would like further clearification don't hesatate to ask.

NOTE: don't add to much RTV to the Oil pan because you don't want any of it to break off and clog your oil pump... That would suck.... GOOD LUCK!
    KEN

3. jjlaughner

I think I got it back on. I didn't think of something breaking off and getting sucked up in the oil pump though. Maybe I'll do an oil change in a few miles. The new kit had a seal and it was not to bad getting it in. BUT I think I F'ED Royally putting the balancer back on. It seamed to go on ok with the help of a large ratchet. Once it got down to where I thought it was seated I backed the bolt out and the last 1/4" of the bolt was F-ed up, I tried running a tap down the whole and it won't even start /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    SO, I'm going to wait till daylight and try to get a better look at it, I'm going to be so pi$$ed if I f'ed it up like I think I might have coming back out /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Let us know what happend when you find out. I hope that its ok... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you must take out the radiator and grill and go in at it from the front not the top... GOOD LUCK!

KEN

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

All the time you have waisted by now you could have done it the right way, pull the oil pan, use a one piece oil pan gasket and then install the timing chain cover. You will never get a leak and you won't do it twice. i have seen so many people fight this problem when it is all so simple. sorry to hear about the balancer, hopefully you can clean up the threads and locktite the bolt so it will hold.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

RTV sealeris good replacement for front pan seal, tryingto put sealon withoutpulling pan is about impossible,

goodluck

7. jjlaughner

Well the old seal had a curve in it to fit over the front of the pan. The new seal did not. I took out the front to bolts pull the pan down just a hair and used a raisor blade and cut the old seal out of the front. Put the new seal in the timing cover slot and installed it bottom first (put the bottom two side bolts in) then pushed the top in and tightened everything down. I used plunty of gasket maker on contact points and RTV in the cracks and odd-ball areas. I slide in underneith and put a little more RTV on the bottom of the new timing gasket and reinstalled the front two bolts on the oil pan and cranked them down. I took a trip around in the country and parked it. Everything looks OK so far, truck shifts much better. I need to work on throttle response (injectors - current injectors are running 187K miles), hook a timing light up and check timing, then a new exhaust setup and I will be ROLLIN! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

(lift going in next week if the weather holds up!)