Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need tips on kingpin change - working it this weekend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Nov 3, 2006.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

In the middle of changing them right now. I have been referencing Billavista's writeup at Pirate, and amazingly, the kingpin came out with little problem. I hadn't wanted to change it, but when I got it apart I found the old one to be pitted and galled.

A local tool shop had the 7/8" allen key. A 3 foot cheater bar and some heat, and the kingpin was off :D .

What I am having problems with is installing the new lower race. I tried driving it in with a ballpean and 2x4, but its not going in far. I'm calling it a day, but maybe tomorrow I'll try using my balljoint press to squeeze it in.

BTW, I have cleaned the bore with a scotch brite pad and used oil to try to make it install easier...not happening.

I need ideas!

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Stick it in the freezer over night. :wink1: Seriously...Heat will make it expand, cold will make it contract. Well unless you welded on the inside of it then it would make it contract onto itself but then it would be useless.

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Good Idea...I need to beat it out of there...:rolleyes:

It came right out. I'll freeze them both tonight and use the ball joint press tomorrow and hopefully they'll go back in.

Oh yeah, this is just the passenger side. I still have the drivers to start.

When I bought the allen key they had one that was 1 1/4 inch for only $186.95!

I have also welded on a nipple...err...zerk guard on the bottom plate.