Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED TIRE RECOMMENDATIONS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Jul 10, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to buy some tires for my "project" truck, since the stock p235's on it wouldnt look too good with about 5 inches of lift. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I want to get either 36's or 37's. Prefferably 37's. I need a tire that will wear well on the street since its a DD (I dont care about the noise or ride, as long as they wear pretty good), and I want a MT. Does anybody have any suggestions on a tire that wont break the bank (since my bank account consists of practicaly nothing since I am a highschool student, with a ton of money going into the truck everyday), and will wear good on the street, and do good in the mud and rocks? How well do the super swamper TSL's wear on the street? I was looking at some Goodyear MTR's that are on sale for $500 for the set of four, but are 17 inch wheel diameter. I have to buy new wheels anyways so that wont be a problem, I am just worried about when I have to buy new tires again, and they arent on sale, the limited availability of tires for 17 inch wheels might make me regret buying them. Also, will 17 inch wheels work on a 14 bolt ff and 10 bolt front? Anyways, need suggestions on tires please. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

For street use, avoid the Super Swampers. While they are the 'Shiznit' off road, they wear extremely fast on road. The 37" Goodyear MTR can be had at TireRack.com for about $150 each last I checked. Not a bad tradeoff but be aware that most mud terrains last longer when not driven on the street. If you dont care about ride, it seems that the hard compound on the Ground Hawgs last a real long time, performs good on everything but rocks... and they are so hard they almost act like runflats!!!

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of the Denman Ground Hawg. Very aggressive tire that lasts along time with street driving. You can get them in either radial, or bias. [​IMG] Only bad thing is that they're not cheap !!

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm a big fan of the Denman Ground Hawg. Very aggressive tire that lasts along time with street driving. You can get them in either radial, or bias. [​IMG] Only bad thing is that they're not cheap !!

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif super swamper ssr last a while to and kick ass off road

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Since you already have a 14bff it sounds like one day you may have a D60 up front. A 16 inch wheel will work without any caliper grinding on the D60. If you look at the ads in the mags you can see some good prices on wheel/tire combos. I recommend the ProComp Muds, very quiet on the road.

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

bias ply hawgs arent too bad... 38.5x15 flavor is the same as a 36x14.50 tsl radial... but i guess we're comparing apples and oranges /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG] Only bad thing is that they're not cheap !!

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like, if you took a tire groover to the middle of those tthings and open em up a bit, i bet they would do a little better on the rocks, cuz itll let the tire Flex, Or wrap around rocks more..... they are hell hard those so.... who knows.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was looking at some 37x12.5x15 SSR's last night and they seem to be about what I want. I am just unsure how good they are on the street. I know they were designed for more street use than most Super Swampers, but will they be ok as a DD? And also, how do the TSL Radials do on the road? Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them today. Thanks a lot yall. Keep em' comming. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    -Harrison

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

SSR's suck off road. they chunck like hell, have weak sidewalls, and the compund cups to easily.

MT/R's would be my choice.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have decided to get either Goodyear MTR's or Super Swamper SSR's. I have heard both good and bad about the SSR's from yall (one says they are good offroad and the other says they suck) I will probably ask around a little more to find out for sure. I still have one question though. Will a 15" wheel work on a 14 ff? I hope so because tires for 15" wheels seem to be the cheapest. Thanks.
    -Harrison

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ask Frizzlefry about his SSR's and the 2 sidewalls he tore in 8 days. Also ask him how his lugs look after one trail ride.

12. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I like my SSR's. They do have chunking problems, but not anything horrible. They are nice on the street. Mine still look almost brand new. Althought it's broken a lot, and I don't drive very far to work or school. They work fine off-road for me, and I don't air down these days because we're lazzy and don't have any air compressors. They work better in the mud than the MT/R's.

The MT/R's also look good. I've been impressed with my friends 35's, they look better on rocks and didn't chunk. You might go with them to get the great price from tirerack on the 37's. That is probley my next set of tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Other rumor I have heard is that Goodyear is discontinuing their MT/R's. Something about the outer lugs cuping at high speeds on the big tires. Thats just what I hear.

OR you could get Hummer rims and tires as a set and be done.

It's all dependant on money/time/application.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I like my TSL"s. There not loud, have worn good and are fine off road too. I ve also heard good things about Hawgs as well as TSL Radials.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

also dont get stuck on major brands..there are a lot of other brands out there that have decent m/t's that do just as well.

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yes, I know. My brother has Regul MT's and they are a very good tire. They do good in the mud, good on the street, and really good in the rocks. I would get them but they only come in a 35" /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.
    -Harrison