Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need to build gun rack - anuone with picks or ideas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Mar 11, 2004.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

'78 removable top - how is it constructed along the top?

I'm wanting to build a custom gun rack. Along the top outer edges of the removable top, there appears to be two 'runners' that run the length of the top from front to rear.

Question: Are these hollow or is there some kind of solid support in there such as wood? Can I screw into these?

These guns are heavy and there would be about 30 lbs hanging from the rack on one side if it had two rifles (about 14 lbs each). Also, I don't want it too easy to rip out as the guns would be locked.

Other option is to mount entirely to bed rails and bed. But, screwing into the top would be a good stablizer.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

take a look at Galls Police equipment or one of those companies.... thay have many racks built for black and whites.... I had several different designs in my k5 and then tahoe/malibu/ caprice.... you can get good ideas or buy one... around 150.00 for a basic one and more with the electronic lock etc... I didnt run any of the specialty companies that make them... try and internet search
    cam

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

how about mounting them to the roof, you can put steel plates on the outside to reinforce it if you're handy and don't mind the holes

4. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Why not use the tried and true military mounts used in the M1009 /M1008? They mount right behind the drivers seat.

DW

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My Father in law had fabricated to peices of square tubing with a slight bend in them that mounted in front of the dash almost in the center. He welded to u shape clips that his rifle would fit in and it is easily accesible when hunting. It is a sweet set up,If I can get pic's I will post them.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got a tuffy console, so I'm going to make a stand up rack that is held to the back of it, butt down.

If I didn't want to put holes in the truck and didn't have a tuffy, I'd make a frame that bolts underneath the stock console, and has the rifles in the same place as mine will be with the tuffy. (back of the console)

I went round and round on this topic in my mind. You don't want them in the rear passenger area behind the front seats, because passengers won't be able to get in and out or they will be in the way of their legs, and they will also be hard to reach especially the drivers side one if you are out of the vehicle. (hard to get one behind the seat if you are as tall as I am) If you have gear on the back seat, again hard to reach it with rifles in the way. Guess with them in the center thats an issue as well, but not for the passenger.

Center, between the seats, is the only place I could think of that would keep them entirely out of the way for passengers, yet be just as easily accessible by the passenger and driver.

3 or 4 rectangular frames for the gun butts, lined in rubber, and a vertical piece that will somehow retain the rifles by the barrel. Haven't quite figured out how to hold the barrels in place without scratching them up, and still be secure for big bumps, but that will come to me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

In Cal I saw a Police Show truck that has a AR-15 mounted in a mount right behind the front seats where the top bolts for the shell are at... Looked great. Also like the ones in the cop cars that stand up between the front seats. What kind of guns are you looking at mounting? Lengths of the guns are what going to limit your mounting locations? How many guns do you want to carry? Do you want them hidden or easier to grab? What about building them into the side panels so you can close a door (with lock, for Safety) and they are out of sight?

9. dyeager535

If long guns (I just assumed hunting rifles or shotguns) you'd have a hard time getting them out of the door if they are mounted horizontally in the panels.

I think vertically is the only way to mount them so they can be handled easily and safely.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

local laws around here state that the gun must be out of reach from passengers and in a lockable enclosure. That's not verbatim just what I recall. That pretty much limits gun storage to the rear of a blazer or behind the seat in a pickup. I know if I had a stand up shotgun rack in between the front seats it would be considered illegal.

11. dyeager535

Our law is something similar I think "not exposed". NO ONE pays attention to that during hunting season, and the law enforcement officials "in the sticks" have spoken out and said they will not enforce it.

City laws imposed on country folks.

12. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

It is long guns - two FALs about 42" long. Both with scopes and one with a bipod. I was thinking between where the top connects to the bed and the top of the top (?). I also have a Mossberg 590 to mount somewhere. I use these for IPSC shooting if I ever get back in it - money is kinda tight right now.

I believe the only law around here that pertains to this is they should be in a case or not readily available. They will be locked and completely unavailable. I don't think this is enforced though because there are rifles carried in rear window gun racks in pickups.