Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to come up with a business name...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 11, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I am giving myself a deadline to register and create my LLC. I want to have an LLC formed by Wednesday 1/19/05.

I'm having trouble coming up with a name... The name is pretty significant, so I want to get it right the first time. "Ratch Enterprises" is kinda cheesy and everyday-ish, I want something that rings with professionalism and "corporate". I don't really want to put my name in the company name, either, so if I take on partners, the company doesn't have to become a different company to reflect that.

I'm not sure exactly what I want the primary focus to be yet. I'm strongly interested in Real Estate, and want to make an investment purchase soon (I need the LLC formed before the purchase). But I also want to be able to buy and sell a few vehicles under the company name also. At some point, I'm going to get back into voice-over and audio production work, which I'd also do under the comapny name.

So far my choices are/were:

RRatch [and] Associates <--- Top contender right now
    RRatch
    RRatch Interests (Is "interests" even a decent sounding part of a name?)
    RRatch Enterprises (kinda cheesy sounding)
    Fair Interests (I like to think of myself as a fair person)
    Active Enterprise (might be taken)
    RatchBroadcast (I filed that in the 90's, I think I might still own it, but it's just a DBA)
    RuffDiamond Ventures (although I'd like to convey stability with the name, this would apply to the real estate and old car aspects, and voice over companies always have dumb/meaningless names, so it would work there, too)

Anyone have any suggestions? Or even some ideas on how I should try to figure out a name?

I'll have to dig around my garage tonight and see if I can come up with a Prize for the best name :rotfl:

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

RATCH INC.?? it may sound old and dumb to you ,but ratch is fun to say.yours was the first i really saw here.you say you don't want to stick to one thing so just RATCH. then through in est. 19 ???gives you some time under your belt. services sounds like a handy man,HHMMMM i don't know about NY, but having LLC later the name is new and exciting here.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A common title for a company that "holds" equity(including property) for investment purposes is "........ Holdings".

FWIW, Kim and I are in the process of establishing something along the lines of "PK Equity Holdings LTD.".:thumb:

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I went through this a few years back, try to keep it generic enough so if you do other interests it still is fitting. I have "Performance Media group, LLC" with a DBA as ColoradoK5, OffCamber4x4 etc. that way when I do other web related businesses it still works, just add a DBA (Doing Business As) to the fold.

5. boggerless

thats it,guys:D :D

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ratch Inc sounds good to me. Its simple and Ratch really doesn't sound like its your name even though it is :). Wish we could have gotten together when I was up there so you could have told Tshy in person, she didn't believe me. Hopefully I will get up there in March and we can get together.

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Howzabout " Ratch International"?

Tom

8. boggerless

i like it!!

9. boggerless

it is a global market.:p:

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ratch Enterprises may sound kinda ordinary but I knew a family that owned a little resteraunt, arcade and bar and they ended up with Mom & Pop, Inc. Im extremely literal so Ratch Enterprises sounds perfect to me. "Soon" Im going with a C Corp to lower taxes, CRT (Charitable Remainder Trust) to protect against cap gains and death tax and an FLP (Family Limited Partnership) to protect against lawsuits. Of course Ive been saying this for 4 yrs now, Ive been without a Corp that long. I think your deadline is a great idea! Sorry I cant really help with the name. :frown1:

11. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

Ratch and Associates Inc. <----- I improved on an already good name

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

RRatch Weapons Research

RRatch (It Rocks)

RRatch Forver

RRatch Assasinations

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ok, I think I'll go with Ratch Enterprise(s) then. I guess I'm too used to it, but to a stranger it doesn't necessarily sound like a persons name.

I can't do "Inc." unless I incorporate, which I'm opting not to do for now. Otherwise, Inc. does make it sound Pro. But, you make the good point that my perspective of "Ratch" isn't the same as everyone else's...

Thank you, that's the other common "term" I couldn't remember. Sounds way better than "Interests" :doah:

Yes, exactly what I want to do. I'm beginning to understand why so many companies are named after the founders name...

To be honest, Ratch isn't my full last name, just a shortening of it that my Scoutmaster came up with when I was in Boy scouts, then it became my air name when I was on-air years ago, and has always seemed to sprout up among the people I know, so I just use it as my name now.
    Get up here in March!! I'd love to meet you guys, I'll show her my license so she believes you, too...

That one sounds good, too... Actually, maybe truly reflective if I ever start working with Canmore on this real estate stuff...

Oh geez... More research to do!!
    I'm the same way, spent the last 4 years knowing I have to do something different, and searching and searching for it. I've been wanting to create a company for a long time too, but I've learned about myself that if I don't have a set "deadline", I'll procrastinate forever...

I dunno, those may make it a little difficult to market myself in the anti-terror climate of the modern world... :rotfl:

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I'll file Ratch Enterprises today. :Thumbs:

When I figure out what I'm selling, you all get a discount! :D

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ratch and Sniff?

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm really lucky I wasn't eating my cereal at the second I read and understood that.

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

How about Ratch Plumbing? :grin: