Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to cut steel with chop saw -need cutting oil?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Skigirl, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Need to cut some 3/16" welded steel for underside of rear seat brackets. Never used a metal cutting chop saw before. I have a 14" metal cutting blade. Do I need to use cutting oil? And are the considerable sparks that fly out capable of starting massive fires or does it look worse than it is? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

TIA /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

oil bad juju...just start cuttin...the only time you would need oil would be say on a sawzall or band saw ...chop saws are abrasives so its just like a grinder...when ya start throwin sparks it leaves the chance of a fire /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

OK on the oil part.

Is it supposed to throw a lot of sparks? Can't see how it wouldn't...

4. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Lots of sparks is good.....just watch where they go. They can light something on fire. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Lots of sparks and LOTS of noise. Make sure you wear safety glasses and hearing protection. Just make sure that you position your body to the side of the saw when you start cutting.......Ask me how I know!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The sparks that fly from the steel lose their heat pretty quickly. They would have to come into contact with something relatively flammable very quickly after leaving the saw for a fire to start.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I went out there for a minute to start to cut and decided to learn to duck and cover as my first skill. And maybe pull the whole thing outside and point the sparks towards the garage door that I've previously covered with roll roofing!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anybody got an asbestos suit?? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Can Can

Asbestos is bad for you, dummy!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you want, I can send you a well used pair of Nomex coveralls. Guaranteed until you start on fire!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Asbestos is bad for you, dummy!!!

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Love that guarantee Paul!! Such a deal!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Damn...I bought a tool that scares me!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

as long as it has a standard abrasive blade don't use any kind of cutting oil.
    If it is a blade that has teeth on it then yes use oil

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Damn...I bought a tool that scares me!!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's too scary for you, send it to me. I'll pay shipping... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, Steph, good one. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif How 'bout I pay for getting YOU shipped down here to cut this stuff I need to cut? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya might want to wear a long sleeve shirt and a hat too. I wear one just because I like what little hair I have left /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It makes short work of cutting stuff though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, figure by the time I'm done getting ready to cut something my house will be wrapped in roll roofing and I'll look like an astronaut landing on the moon. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Those sparks will catch something on fire. The heat from each tiny particle of red hot steel adds up quick. Most places where I've used chop saws have some sort of thin sheet steel deflector behind the saw to direct the sparks somewhat downwards and away from the operator.

Watch the edge of the cut when you're done too. Number one it will be hotter than hell, number two is there will be a burr along the edge that will open you up if you're not wearing good gloves. Long sleeves for sure, hearing protection for sure and a full face shield. Also make sure the work is clamped good...if it starts to move around mid-cut the blade may jam and that can get ugly.

Have fun!!!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you can spray water with coolent on the blade as your cutting....

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

OK, I did it! Wrapped myself up in long gloves, face shield, ear plugs, fire suit (no, just kidding). Cut the pieces, got out the grinder and smoothed the edges, drilled out holes for the bolts. All I have to do now is paint 'em.

And didn't catch anything on fire (tho I believe that was just beginner's luck).

Only weird thing was that it seems like the blade doesn't cut 90 degrees, it cut on a bit of a slant. Thot I adjusted the fence right, but either I didn't or this thing is just a POS.

After a while I kinda liked the sparks... one of my friends suggested that we strap me to the front of his boat and have our own fireworks display next year in Ventura. Hmmmm. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for all the help guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Can Can

"Fireworks" on a boat with one of your male friends, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Are you sure he was talking about your chopsaw, Pam?

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, maybe I should call him back!!! OK, gotta go! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Do NOT spray water with or without coolant on the blade!! Sparks, fire and now electrocution!! Good God, some of you people scare me! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hey Michael, thanks for lookin out for me.

I didn't spray anything on the blades. Once I understood that the cutting wheel was really an abrasive blade and does not work like a traditional wood cutting blade (or a sawzall blade) I also realized that putting something on the blade could cut it's efficacy if nothing else.

I just wrapped myself all up in non-flammabe stuff and cut away (kept a fire extinguisher close by, just in case I lit the house on fire or something). All went well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif