Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to find out what my gear ratio is. ASAP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speed_deed, Oct 17, 2003.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Selling the 10 bolt from my '84 GMC Jimmy to my neighbor. Need to know the gear ratio to see if it is the same as his suburbans current one.

The option number is 1GQ1 and it says standard and not a gear ratio. Please tell me these are 3.42's!!

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

gq1 is the 2;73 ratio i think /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif to be sure just pull the cover look on ring gear and divide the number of teeth on ring gear into number of teeth on pinion.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

1GU6 is 3.42 gear ratio...if it says standard, then its probably 2.73 gears...pull the cover and check..he should pull the cover and change the fluid anyways...no tellin what kind of stuff has been done to the truck before you bought it..ie gear swaps..

4. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Asuming this is not a posi find some way to hold one end still (as if you only jacked one tire off the ground) and turn the other tire 2 full turns while counting how many times the drive shaft (yoke) turns. If it turns just over 4 times then it is 410's if it turns 3 and a half times it is 355's just over 3 times is 308's so on and so on. If it is posi jack both sides up and turn one tire one full turn and the counts should be the same.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Standard ratio in 1984 was 2.73:1.