Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need to fix the radio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 4wood, May 1, 2004.

1. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

So the guy that owned the Blazer before me put in an after market radio. When he did it, though, he did some really weird hack job on the wiring behind the dash-which entails running a line from the wire that goes to the cigarette lighter to power the radio. So now I can't put a fuse-of any amperage in the slot for the radio/horn/dome light without it blowing. Oh yeah, and the radio is not currently working. I've tried to figure out the problem a few times and have not really gotten anywhere with it. I am taking an 8 hour road trip on Thurs and would LOVE to have a working radio, so here's the question: Would you guys trust Circuit City to fix this mess up or should I try to find a garage to do it? I just won't have time myself.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Would you guys trust Circuit City to fix this mess up

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't know if they will just rewire/debug an existing stereo. They may just end up trying to sell you a new unit. If they do fix it, then yes I would trust them because if they screw something up then they are responsible to fix it. Personally, I don't trust anyone to work on my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    If you have an hour or two it would be worth it to do a 'preliminary diagnostic' on it before you take it somewhere, you may find that it's an easy fix. Just disconnect the wire harness going into the rear of the unit. On the wire harness you really only need to 3 power lines to make it work - the ground wire (should be connected directly to the dash with a screw), the hot which has 12V all the time, and another 12V line that only has power when you turn the key to accessory (this line turns the power to the unit on). If you have a voltmeter you can check these lines to see if they're working like they should. Just hook one lead of the voltmeter directly to a bare metal spot on the dash and with the other lead just probe around on the wire harness until the voltmeter reads 12V, likewise do the same thing with the key turned to accessory. If you don't have a voltmeter you can use a 12V light bulb instead. My bet is that one of your power lines isn't supplying power. I would also suggerst to make sure it is wired properly and not to use the cig lighter circuit which I have found to short out easily.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would remove non working radio, repair all wires you can, cap off others, and rewire radio from scratch, IE, run all new wires (Power and speakers). /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Ok...I made it to Florida with no radio (a very dull 7 hrs 32 min 21 sec). I had a brilliant idea, though: replace the wiring harness! I did that (Sony wiring harness) but, alas, there is a problem. There are two lone wires, one labled "Illumination" and the other "Constant" on the harness and neither I nor the Circuit City dude can find where it plugs into under the dash. He said I should be able to run those wires directly to the (+) terminal of the battery and it would work fine. I did that. Now when I turn the truck on, the radio comes on...turns off...comes on...turns off...comes on...turns off...etc. Any ideas? Anyone? Bueller? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. carcblackblazer

carcblackblazer Registered Member

Most of your power wiring would come from the ignition. Constant from the main red? wire and main power from the yellow. Probably want to check the shop manual for the correct wiring colors, I am not sure which is which but for some reason this sounds right, after putting in 2 stereos in my moms 85 K5. Your illumination would actually go to your headlight knob, find out with a test light which wire turns the dash lights on when you have the parking/headlights on. Then when you have the lights on the radio should glow. Once again, a shop manual would give you a better reference as to which one does which. Hope this helps.