Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to fix this fast...stranded at home, need to get back to school!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

My 90 K5 has a vibration that is getting much worse at low speeds around 20-30 mph. Maybe at higher speeds the noise just gets drowned out. I was on my way to school (6 hour trip) and turned back because it was getting works. You can only hear it from inside the truck and it is coming from the rear. U-joints seem rock solid. Pulled the drums on each wheel, and everything looked fine but there was a little leakage around the wheel bearing and I could pull the hub in and out about 1/4" So question is this...truck has 160,000 miles on it, very well maintained by previous owner. Do you think it is the differential bearings, the u-joint, or the wheel bearings. I have one day to fix this before I have to be back at school (only a month to go before I am done for good). If it is the differential bearings, how much are they? Thank you in advance. -Tim

2. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I would have to ask how are you checking the u joint. if you don't actually take the drivshaft off to inspect the ujoint it can "seem" solid but could actually be worn. I would say just remove the drive shaft to check the u joint out a little closer, i know on my blazer it started doing that and i took it off to check everything out and one of the retaining clips was comming out and giving the u joint too much play, hope this help let me know what happens.
    Sergio

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You can also park on a level driveway, block the tires and put the tcase in neutral. This will keep the shaft from binding tight and allow you to wiggle it around. If you have any slop other than rotational, you've got a bad u-joint.