Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to get away, near Tacoma

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by pvfjr, Jun 25, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I don't know the area in this state at all, and was wondering if anyone knew where I could go camping. I'm looking for a place without facilities where I won't run into yuppies in sedans. Maybe by a lake, with a hiking trail up a mountain or something. I'm willing to drive a little ways, but the closer to Tacoma the better. I've got mapping programs for the whole U.S., so send me your coordinates! Or just some names. Thanks.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I know some killer places in southern WA, but not further up by you. If you find a good spot, let me know. You'll be hard pressed to find a place with facilities w/out any "yuppies" there too.

3. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

Way up the carbon river near buckley washington is pretty cool. Theres a river and some pretty cool scenery. Take 410 to buckley take 165 towards wilkeson, go past carbonado and keep heading up that road, it will eventuall go into the backside of Mt Rainier Nat Park. THeres some awesome secluded camping spots up there.

-jake

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Look up Bandera Mountain in the Alpine Lakes area.

It's a few miles on this side (west) of Snoqualmie pass. Follow the signs up Forest Service Road 9030 to the parking area for Talapus Lake. Most of the yuppies will walk to the lake (less than 3 miles) and back to their cars for a day hike. If you are willing to walk a little ways (5+ miles) there are a bunch of really cool lakes like Olallie, Pratte, Kula Kula and others. I've hiked all over that area on 1-2 day trips and 7+ day hikes and it's really a blast once you get past the first few miles 'cuz you hardly see anyone else back there at all.

Lot's of wildlife and great scenery. The only downfall is that you can't have fires in the lake basins so bring a single burner stove if you want coffee in the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the ideas.

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

its not hiking or campin,but theres a free 4x4 event today at cranberry lake in eatonville.....faithwheelers is putting it on,theres mud bogs,rock course and obstacle courses....go to snort4x4.com then to northwest trail talk for more info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

easy, close, free, head east past enumclaw up 410 to greenwater turn right on FS73 or 74 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif i forget which one, then you take a dirt road to the right on the first curve, you can camp anywhere for free and at the end of that dirt road there is a semi hidden trail to the left that goes down to the river and can camp there too. take you 30-45 minutes to get there, 10-15 minutes p[ast enumclaw, cool, and quiet but gets cool at night /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif if you need directions my # is in my f/s thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ever been to Mowich lake? Anyone know if you can camp there?