Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to get to exhaust shop, running open headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

what do i need to do to keep from getting in even MORE trouble

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Take the most direct route (unless it passes right by the Police station) and avoid the temptation to see what it sounds like at WOT!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I usually disregard the last part of that! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

Best bet is to find someone to help you tow it there.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I just did it.. I made sure the reg was good on the truck and had the insurance papers with me.. The way I looked at.. They wanted $65.00 to tow it.. In CA it is $10.00 for a fix it ticket.. So I drove it down there and didn't get caught...LOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

its usually only loud when you speeding up or slowing down...cruising at a set speed it pretty quiet.

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

just do it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea...when i ran open pipes when i was redoing my exhuast..while cruising it wasnt to bad, just when accelerating from a stop mostly..

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just did it.. I made sure the reg was good on the truck and had the insurance papers with me.. The way I looked at.. They wanted $65.00 to tow it.. In CA it is $10.00 for a fix it ticket.. So I drove it down there and didn't get caught...LOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

:hijack in process: Dan, did you get the 70 series installed, or what did you end up with? Let me know your opinion on whatever you ended up with please..........

9. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I got pulled over doing the same thing. TOld him I was on the way to the exhaust shop, and he let me go.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

first time i did it (and my plan for this time) is I drove it over to exhaust shop at 7am, take as many cut throughs as possible (im sure thos neighborhoods i cut through loved it) and stay off main roads. If you know places cops like to congregate steer clear by a few blocks.

11. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

who cares? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

No one gives you any sh!t down here. Maybe its different where you're at.

Either way, it won't be as loud as those harley's with screamin eagles that like to show off and start revin' everytime they come to a stop. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

uuh. . . i've been driving for a month with open headers. cop came to my house once because i was leaving in the morning. don't drive in the morning and most cops won't care. i've passed cops at WOT 45-5000rpm. . . didnt say nothin, i even cruised in the front of the mall (/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i like watching people cover their ears and hear it reverberate off the mall, and i had to get somethin for my girl) and no one said anythnig. maybe NC just rocks?

13. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

:hijack in process: Dan, did you get the 70 series installed, or what did you end up with? Let me know your opinion on whatever you ended up with please..........

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the 50 series dual exhaust with a H pipe.. No cat.. It is actually quiter then I thought it would be.. My wife even likes it.. Me personnelly I would have gone for the 40's.. But my wife will be driving it to.. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You might try that Exhaust shop out on the north side of 380 east....they did the exhaust on stepson's WRX pretty reasonable....they also redid the pipes on mine to make 'em 45* at the corners....

I can't believe yer still runnin' open on that thing without getting caught.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I also have to get down to the exhaust shop with open headers. A buddy is going to give me his set of hooker competition headers that came off his blazer for lifting his front bumper(3"body). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I say just drive it. If an officer did pull you over and you explained the situation, I would be surprised if they gave you a ticket since you were in the process of taking care of it anyway.

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The first thing is to locate an exhaust shop that will do the work for you. Let's say for example you have not cat. A lot of shops won't even work on it. Best thing is to check some out in another car and then when it's time, just drive over there. Be very easy on the gas and take your foot all the way off it if you see the police. If you're already on the way to get it fixed, why should they give you a fixit ticket?

I just drove it after I put my headers on. Pretty fun. Never got try it out at WOT, though. Would need earplugs. I parked at the exhaust shop, revved it up a couple times, then went inside and said "Can you come look at this, I think I have some kind of exhaust leak". Pretty funny when they looked under it.