Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to get wife a reliable car ASAP and can't decide

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 85BlazerFan, Oct 15, 2003.

1. 85BlazerFan

85BlazerFan Registered Member

Need to get wife a reliable car ASAP and can\'t decide

My wife has a POS 96 Dodge Neon. At 40k the head warped because it overheated (stupid Dodge engineers), and it has done it again at 80k. Well, I don't feel like ripping everything off again and have the head shaved. Also, the engine has a bad oil leak (have to add 1 quart every week). I JUST WANT TO GET RID OF THIS CAR!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I'm a HUGE Chevy fan and I have told my wife the only makes that are welcome in our family are Chevy and any German car. So... now I'm looking for a reliable cheap car that will last at least a year. I'm buying her a brand new Tahoe next fall, and I really don't think the Neon will make it until then.

I've been looking at: Corsica, Monte Carlo, Lumina, Malibu, VW Jetta and Passat. Max price I want to pay is $3000

Which model(s) should I stay away from and which ones are the best choices?

Thanks for your help, fellas!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: Need to get wife a reliable car ASAP and can\'t decide

Having a 95 Dodge Neon, I feel your pain.... however see if you can find out if your problem has been recalled. If so, you might get a free repair. Something that would let you drive the POS a bit longer and shop around more and save. My friend bought a 96 and his head gasket has blown 4 times and each time they were fixed for free. I think he might even have recourse with our local lemon laws if he woud persure it... you might too?

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the Lumina. They are nice cars with plenty of room and power...even with the small v6. The only thing that isn't so hot on them is the plastic interior.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

My wife and I are looking to buy a car very soon as well. I am a huge fan of Consumer Reports because numbers speak for themselves. Long story short, out of all the cars you mentioned in your price range, the ONLY ones worth buying are the Passat and the Malibu. The Passat had the highest rating for recommendation followed by the Malibu. According to CR everything else is junk.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you get a GM try to find one with a 3.8 L engine. The other v6s cant hold a candle to them. They last forever and are very low maintience. I own 2 GMs with the 3.8L engine they are very trouble free.
    Might also Check out Pontiac Bonnevilles they are an excelent car built to last. You can pick up nice ones fully loaded from the mid 90s for around 3000.
    I would stay away fron anything with a 3.1 L. The 3.4 is a little better but not near as good as the 3.8

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would recomend a 88 to 96 Chevrolet Beretta becouse they have a good resale value. I sold my 89 Beretta GT for more money then I paid for it, and thats with flat spots on all 4 tires. (I locked up the breaks out on the interstate when the car infront of me hit a deer). Beretta's are a fun car to drive. Might be worth keeping for a back up vechile. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I'd vote for a Saturn.
    I have 110k on mine, and have beaten it silly. Dang thing just keeps on, like it was new.
    I have heard that the late 90s Saturns will live to see 200k, easliy, and you can probably find one with 100k for $3000.

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at LT1 Caprices and Police Cars. For $3000 you can have what Impala SS folks pay $20K for, a family car that is HUGE and fast, and will take a lot of abuse and heavy use. Just my humble opinion.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I 2nd that. Large, V8 powered, rear drive car or truck is the only option if you want something cheap and reliable.

10. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i hate to say it but i'de get a honda /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifthats why i bought one....i'm hoping to get a new car when i get out of school...if i make good money...prolly a gmc witha duramax or a Lancer Evolution /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif