Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to install manual hubs on a dana 44??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Supreme70, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

I have a Dana 44 from a 77 ton 3/4 chevy but it has full time hubs, How hard is it to change over to manual and will a set of 10 bolt manual hubs fit??? I'm going to completely rebuild the axels but would like to know the down fall of the 44 to a 60 ;) Thanks Michael

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Dana 44's and 10 bolts are identical from the knuckles out, so the same hubs will fit. (Unless they're goofy external hubs, but you should see very quikcly that they won't fit in that case.)

You'll need some Allen (hex) wrenches and snap ring pliers; you can remove the hubs with the wheels still on the ground. Easy.

-- A

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Trail hint: Don't toss out the parts that make the front end full-time. Keep them in your trail spares box. If you ever manage to break a locking hub, you can reinstall the old parts to get you home. :cool1:

4. panic

panic Newbie

Yea, it's a 30 min. job max with both sides. You can always use a small flathead screwdriver too if you don't have snapring pliers.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Piece o'cake!:D

I did that very thing. My '77 3/4 ton D44 was full time and I swapped the slugs out in favor of lock-outs.

The only thing I had to do was clean up a few of the splines in the hub with a file. The hubs had a bit more wear because it was a full-time axle.

If you installed lock-outs on your 10-bolt then you can easily do it on the D44!:waytogo:

6. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

So the ten bolt hubs fit right in place of the full time hub of the dana 44. That will save a few bucks to go towards the Springs:grin:

7. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

everything knuckles out is swappable with 10bolt and dana 44. stub shaft, hubs, spindle, knuckles, bearings, ball joints,...everythin!!