Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to know how to tell 44 from 60.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Storm Trooper, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I know you guys have been over and over this butt WTF.
    Does anyone have the exact way to tell them apart without measuring the ring gear? I heard tube size? I think this ones a 44 w/ 3-3/4" tube.
    While i'm at it, I checked out the 14FF today and just want to make sure i'm buying OK. On the ring gear # (1 CM 3977334 10 41 6 74) turned it only one rev. and the drive shaft turned about 4.1 so i'm guessing 4:10. Counted the ring gear theeth and there was 41...sound right?? very little metal on the magnet, clean inside, no signs of wheel seal leaks, the cover wasn't siliconed and looked like it hadn't been accessed, I think 3 spiders and open. Sound OK?

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

2. Storm Trooper

Oh, by the way, NO FIGHTING HERE......hehe[​IMG]

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Hey Storm sorry i couldn't make it up last weekend.But had too get some family time in i was kind of feeling guilty.BUt if its a 60 the top of the knockles will have 4 bolts holding caps on.And somewhere in the center section it will a big 60F cast into it.A 44 has balljoints and a 44 cast into the center section.Hope this helps.Hey we might be going too Holy cross this weekend try too make it.Dan

4. Storm Trooper

Sorry Dan, I'd love to. I saw the post but I pick my wife up on Thurs. so no chance. To bad you didn't make it, I had the trooper ready to go wheelin. I'm sure we'll hook up sometime.
    Subject: I though the 44 had ball joint ends (oh well), too much grease to find the stamp unless I thought it was a 60. If anyone has any pictures the guy that has it would appriciate it and he's giving me the 14 for $250...wooooohoooo.
    what about the 14?

5. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

A 60 front also has the passenger side u-bolt plate, the inside set are bolts or are studded into the housing, so if ya see u-bolts going all the way around it aint a 60

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.

6. Storm Trooper

Thanks, it's a 44 (too bad, I need a 60).
    How about the other questions......anyone?
    OK you can fight[​IMG].......wes?

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I have pics of mine on my site (click below, then look at one ton conversion page) might be able to *see* the difference..............as stated, easy way to check is the passenger side spring plate mount is bolted into the housing instead of having two u bolts, it has one (outboard) and the direct mount (inboard).

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</A>

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yep, the 14 sounds good. Did you check for slop in the pinion bearings or for exccess backlash? Also, did the gears wear look minimal?

You can see here -&gt; (1 CM 3977334 10 41 6 74) The "10 41" in the number you posted is the ratio which is 4.10... :)

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

9. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

I read in a manual (and my D60 has this) that Dana stamped (some of) their differentials with a model number right in the front. If you look at the differential from the front (the cover side), there is a flat machined area to the bottom right side of the differential cover. It is on the same plane as the mounting surface for the differential cover. Anyway, some differentials have a model number stamped right there. Mine says "60 F" and my 44 says "44". I do not know if this in true in every single case, but it worked for me.