Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to now what size of trailer can be used without brakes

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BlitzK5, Mar 20, 2007.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

At what size of trailers do you need brakes installed. Is it a weight thing or a tandem axle thing. Im trying to find a trailer to go pick up my balzer however the ones im finding to rent all have brakes installed and the 1 ton I can use to tow my blazer with does not have the brake hook up.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Taken from the Alberta Highway Traffic Act:

- If gross laden weight of trailer is 909 kg / 2,004 lbs or over, or if gross trailer weight is over half that of the unit, independent braking system is required.

- Not required for trailers with a gross laden weight of not more than 910 kg (2006 lbs) or trailers with a gross laden weight of less than half of the weight of the towing unit.

- Breakaway brakes are required on trailers over 907 kg (2,000 lbs)

So, YES, if the weight of the trailer and the weight of the load is more than 2004 pounds combined, the trailer needs it's own braking system.

3. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Ok thank you

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Most of the US requires brakes above 3000 lbs. Some states are higher but the highest I remember was Texas @ 4500lbs which is still less then a K5.

Harley

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you can buy a decent brake controller for around $100. then you will always have it. I have flat towed fullsize stuff. it's not fun. adding the weight of a trailer to the mix without brakes is inviting disaster. most of the rental places down here have surge brakes on the trailer. no need for a controller.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Towing with a trailer with no brakes can actually be better then flattowing because with a trailer it at least adds tongue weight to the truck to help it not push the tow vehicle around quite as much.

Matt (az-k5) has done both and thought the trailer with no brakes was better for this reason. With his K5 on a towbar it would try and push the rearend of his 3/4 ton K20 around more because of the lack of tongue weight.

Harley

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have towed my truggy in every way possible.

Tow strap (need a second driver)

Tow bar: pushes the rear of the truck around bad when breaking and/or turning

Trailer w/o brakes: still pushes but doesn't spin it out, much more controlled than flat towing but sucks in dirt (hard to stop in dirt). <- it was a loaner

Trailer w/brakes: only way to do it repeatedly.

I wouldn't want to flat tow my rig again. I would get a U-hual with serge brakes first, or a trailer with no brakes. I have a manual tranny so that is why I can control the brakeless trailer.