Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to replace pinion seal, any advice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Apr 8, 2004.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

After playing around in some mud/water last weekend, I have found out that my pinion seal on my front axlw leaks. The axle filled up with water, and now, it is dripping water/oil from the pinion seal...
    Anyways, I understand that I am going to need to remove the nut that holds the yoke to the pinion, and I was wondering if any of you can give me advice on any decently easy ways to do this, while the axle is still on the truck.
    Anything will be appreciated.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Socket that fits and a big breaker bar.

OH, and have fun ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OH, and have fun ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds reassuring.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It really isn't that bad as long as you have a large enough breaker bar, that is if it is even that tight.
    I know there is a big difference in the diffs, but when i did my regear in the 14bff, i had to use my floor under the breaker bar i had, and lift the bar just to break the nut loose. Now i don't believe the 10 bolts are that tight though, don't remember what it was like in the other vehicle. But will,or should have to put some effort behind it.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Here's the quick and dirty method.
    1) Mark the nut and the pinion
    2) Using a big pipe wrench or something hold the yoke and remove the nut.
    3) Carefully tap the pinion yoke off and replace the seal (you might need to leave it out a little farther if the sealing surface on the yoke is messed up).
    4) Replace the yoke and tighten the nut until it is tight and then line up the mark you made earlier. -- use lock tite on the nut.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's the quick and dirty method.
    1) Mark the nut and the pinion
    2) Using a big pipe wrench or something hold the yoke and remove the nut.
    3) Carefully tap the pinion yoke off and replace the seal (you might need to leave it out a little farther if the sealing surface on the yoke is messed up).
    4) Replace the yoke and tighten the nut until it is tight and then line up the mark you made earlier. -- use lock tite on the nut.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the wheels are on the ground, he shouldn't need to hold onto anything, just break the nut loose and remove, then tap off the yoke. Rip off the old seal and intsall the new one. Then a reverse order. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

what he said, dont just mark it, count turns off n back on /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    and clean that [darn] out good!

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Good point, mine was in the air.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what he said, dont just mark it, count turns off n back on /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    and clean that [darn] out good!

[/ QUOTE ]

???????????????????????????????????

It has to go back on tight either way.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It has to go back on tight either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I thought it just got torqued back on.

11. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

You just need to make sure that you don't over tighten the nut and increase the pinion bearing preload.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You just need to make sure that you don't over tighten the nut and increase the pinion bearing preload.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the front axle have a crush sleeve also? if he removes the nut, it's already going to mess up the settings, but being on a front axle, i really wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's full time 4wd.

Replace the seal, tighten it up. Thats what i say.

13. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

That was the whole point of the mark it and count the turns discussion. As long as it is tightened to the same point it was before it will likely be the same preload. That is why I called it the quick and dirty method.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OK, but as far as i knew, when you take the pressure off the crush sleeve, it's done basically, it needs to be replaced. I have always just retightened them down with alittle extra umph. to maybe crush the sleeve just a bit more.yeah it might pull the pinion out a hair, but as i mentioned, i don't think it will be a problem on the front axle.

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

To add to what's already been said:

-You'll need to lock your front hubs in order to take off the nut without somehow holding the yoke in the same place.
    -I counted threads and marked the nut/pinion and then tightened to about 1/8th of a turn past that mark when I reassembled.

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    To add to what's already been said:

-You'll need to lock your front hubs in order to take off the nut without somehow holding the yoke in the same place.
    -I counted threads and marked the nut/pinion and then tightened to about 1/8th of a turn past that mark when I reassembled.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAH,,,that too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

I just changed out the pinion seal on my buddies camaro and at Napa the seal was in a kit with a new crush sleeve and new nut. Might want to check that out.

18. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Well, just replaced the seal. Turned it about 1/8 turn after the mark, and loc-tited it. The most difficult part was scraping off the gaskets (that's right! Two of them!) from the cover and the housing.

$%*&#ing previous owner...