Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to replace stock exhaust manifold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tonyraca, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Tonyraca

Tonyraca Registered Member

I have a cracked stock exhaust manifold on my 1979 blazer. I am looking to replace it with hopefully an upgrade. I sent an email to Edelbrock, but they said they did not have anything that fit my application.
    I was thinking of just getting part #6863 K-5 Blazer full-size 83-86 5.0/5.7L w/carb & A.I.R. from Edelbrock. I believe that they say this doesn't fit because there is no emissions exemption for the 1979 year on this part. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will get new stock manifolds if I have to, but my real goal is to convert to dual exhaust with dual catalytic convertors.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Summit Racing has a set of smog legal set of shorty headers for your truck. They are a little pricey, but they are for your trucks application, and they are 50-state smog legal. There is no way you can have dual exhaust (even dual cats), and remain smog legal, but who cares about being smog legal if somehow you know a way to get away with it.

3. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

Forget manifolds because you'll never be able to keep them sealed thats one of GM's flaws. I have had this trouble with Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Chevrolets both cars and trucks. For example my 1 ton duelly has a BB in it and a midas exhaust system and they can't keep it from leaking if I hadn't payed so much for the exhaust system it would have headers on it by now and I'm using the hell out of the lifetime warantee with this problem,lol. But when I first got my '79 K5 it HAD manifolds on it guess what it has on it now, Afterburners!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can still use cats.

4. jwill

jwill Registered Member

If your going to a dual exhaust then just get a set of headers. I went to a set of Flowtech headers for cheap. I then went to a set of Hookers. never going back. I sell replacement manifolds at work through my Balkamp supplier but likely are just as expensive for one side as a set of cheaper headers. No worry hear for emmisions.
    Well that was my two cents worth for the day.

Jwill...Central Iowa

5. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Headers are legal in CA if you have the air injection (if originally equipped) and a heat riser tube (kit easy to install).

Get headers, cast manifolds suck!