Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to see pics of 1/2 doors and K5s w/ truck gates.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, May 5, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have some ideas rattling around in my head.

I need to see how the gates fit up to the body on the inside. Do they seal up like the power gate? I think they do meet up w/ the seals from the exploded pics I have seen in LMC. This is for my rig so I can lose the heavy gate and not have the power gate when the top is off. But still be able to put a removeable glass (lexan) in the top for when the top is on. Does that make any sense? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I am also tossing around some ideas on 1/2 doors and total cut outs. (Basicly a filler for the jamb area on the cut outs.) The full cut outs would be for daily driver rigs that want to go doorless but dont want to look at the ugly jamb area (like me) and would have a small step over to keep items from falling out on the road or trail.

If I can make up some good 1/2 doors and fillers I may start to produce them out of fiber glass, if there would be a demand for them.

I should be getting my hands on some old doors soon and will make the 1/2 doors and make a mold, then cut them out totally and make a mold of that.

What does everyone think?

2. Pure Insanity

Someone....Anyone......

I did a search and came up w/ some ideas, and there seems to be alot of interest in 1/2 doors, and a bunch in being able to have a window to put in. I have that figured out too I think.

Does anybody want to add some input. Keep factory mirrors? How far to trim them down. ETC.

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would kill for some half doors or even better if someone figure out a good way to make a k5 door like a jeep door where all you have to do to take it off is just slide it up and out. YOu guys know what im talking about. What yall think?

4. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

Im lookin for that same style door. if someone were to fab up somthing they would make a fortune

5. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i am in agreement, i would love 1/2 doors, in the jeep style withh removable softop windows, no need to keep factory mirrors, the ones on the 74 are way too small. perhaps could rig up some sort of mirror post like the jeep does. i like the idea of the door being real low cut, but would want something to put in when it is raining, and still look good, the cardboard only soaks up so much water. i am also curious about tailgates. i am going to be putting on a soft top for good, don't need all the weight of factory tailgate. would like to know if one from a p/u would fit exactly.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

There were a few pictures here from a few months ago and I recall seeing some pics in a magazine too but my memory really sux! Not really memory, just my time frame. I can't tell last week from last month.
    Anyway I have 3 doors in my backyard I've been scribbling lines on to get an idea of where I want to cut. I'll try to take a pic soon, maybe we can throw some ideas back and forth. Basically I want to keep the mirror and door latch, cut the middle part as low as possible and then cover the top to keep people from shredding their arms.

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I have a truck tailgate on my Blazer. This is the only picture I could find a shot of the tailgate. Sorry the picture is real bad. The tailgate is still the flat black. My Blazer already had the holes for the tailgate hardware. It all fit real good given that alot of the holes were pretty rusted out.

Anyway here is a shot of it:
    http://community.webshots.com/rz/r1/9/56/62/25295662BKBYYjxNQC_ph.jpg

It lines up real well. I had to drill the holes for the snaps for the soft top but it doesn't look that bad. It is alot lighter than the Blazer tailgate too.

8. Pure Insanity

OK lets see. W/ Jeepish doors there would be no need for the removable hinges, IMO. I will be keeping the hinges and latches on the full cut outs and half doors.

Ive been trying to think up a removeable hinge set up. Best I can come up w/ would be a full fabbed up design, but using the GM dimensions, so they will act like normal, and bolt up to the stock bolt holes. The new Silverados doors are incredibly easy to take off. Other than the wires and the door check its 1 bolt on the hinges themselves. Kinda hard to explain I guess.

The half doors I have figured out how to put a top on them. The full cut outs Im gonna have to fly by the seat of my pants on. Maybe something Jeepish again. A small round stock frame w/ a vinyl bottom and a "window" that will zip out. But remember Im gonna keep the latch and hinges so the "door" could be opened like normal. IMO, if your going full cut out, your askin to get wet, muddy, cold, or otherwise. LOL! For myself I am just gonna water proof my rig and make it slop friendly. HEHE!

Zepp, your link isnt working.

These doors will be lite weight glass. What I am thinking is to keep them as light as possible but still be strong. You wont be able to swing off them to get in and out unless I get real beefy w/ the inner structure. But then its defeating the weight loss advantage.

The longer I sit here.... the closer I am to figureing out the hinges. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The tailgate issue I have got pretty well figured out. What I am needing to know is if the seals line up. I dont think I have seen a Blazer yet that didnt have the ness. holes to bolt it up.

9. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

What are you doing with the gate?

10. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

clicky says forbidden ...mike

12. Pure Insanity

The gate will be staying on P.I. for a while. I want to do the doors 1st. Unless I come across a gate and hardware at a price I cant resist.

When I do it I will shave the gate and flip the handle to the inside.

13. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I SENT YOU SOME PICS. BY E-MAIL. IF YOU WANT TO POST A LINK TO THEM GO AHEAD I DON'T KNOW HOW.

14. Pure Insanity

Those are similar to what I have in mind for the cut outs, but less than the half doors. Im gonna have to take a pic of P.I. from the side to print and draw on then scan and put in my webshots to show what I have in mind. Sounds like a project for tommorow. Too late now.

I like the blue grey black and white camo BTW. I wanted to desert camo P.I. at one point but didnt have the heart to do it knowing I would have to take it all of when I paint it. LOL!

15. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I FORGOT TO TELL YOU. THE HOLES ON THE TOP OF THE DOORS ARE FOR THE SOFT DOOR THAT I AM WORKING ON FOR THE UPPER SECTION. JUST IN CASE YOU DID NOT KNOW.

16. Pure Insanity

I was kinda wondering about those. LOL! I assumed they were for a top of some kind.