Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to tow a Cherokee - How?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jul 12, 2005.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I need to tow a Cherokee from Phoenix to San Diego, what does the law say about towing. Can I just rent a Trailblazer or similar size SUV and tow it with that or do I need an even bigger vehicle? Should I get a dolly or a towbar?

2. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

personally i'd use a pickup instead of an suv. u-haul rents pickups around here.

is it a 1 way trip? if not maybe you can rent/borrow a truck from a friend.

i think as long as your towing in a safe manner with nothing "mickey moused" or super over-loaded you'll be fine with the cops.

good luck!

3. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

right now there is a shortage of u-hauls in SD. my blazer blew in the desert so i rented a 24' u-haul put a tow bar on blazer and towed it back 200mi. cost me $80 for truck, $30 for tow lights, they paid for the gas and my pride cause it was a ford F350 cab.

4. uglytruck

uglytruck Registered Member

I believe AZ law says all you need is one tail light to be legal. But I don't know about CA. U-haul or Budget rent tow dollies or car hauler trailers, and would be safer than rigging somthing up yourself. Then again maybe you could find someone wanting to get out the heat for a day and drive it out there. As far as a tow rig You'd probably better stick to a rig with enough tow rating. Going through the desert this time of year is hard enough on a vehicle and run the risk of overheating etc.. if you overload it.