Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to update stereo - 90 K5

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Hardcore, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

OK the stuff in my blazer is all stock.
    AM/FM Cassette
    3.5's in the dash
    4x10's in the rear.

I want to replace everything with some nice new stuff. Nothing fancy, it's just that the stock speakers have seen there time

Anyway, here are my ideas....comment/suggest as neccessary

1) pull the 3.5's out. Get some 6.5" seperates. mount the mid/woofer in the lower door panel. Mount the tweeter in a small adapter in place of the 3.5's in the dash.

2) Pull out the 4x10's Reroute the wires to the front of the seat and put some 6x9's in the panels.

3) Get a decent CD player. I really don't want to mount it in the stock location because I can't see it. I've thought about mounting it in a tuffy console /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif but the wiring would be a pain /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've also wondered about swaping the radio with the A/C controls so the radio is a bit more visible.

Let me know what you guys think /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifCorey

2. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

Nice plan, but I would mount the component system together, buy aftermarket 3 1/2" speakers and put them in the dash, and DO get rid of the 4x10 and put 6x9's in the panel. On the stereo in the stock location, that's where I have mine and I see it quite well..but I was thinking about getting a Tuffy console 'cause it'll be harder for it to be stolen if anyone were to break in.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Anyone else /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Lets talk name brands. For speakers, I really like Infinity (Kappa) but for alittle less $$$ I've also had JBL speakers that sounded awesome.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Corey,

There are probably three "levels" to how deep this can get.

1. Replace stock speakers and deck in stock locations. No additional amps....just a decent head unit with decent power. Costs are reasonable, and everything (for the most part) looks stock and unassuming.

2. Maybe add an amp to drive a small sub or two....maybe drive the front speakers with some amplifier power too, but if they're only 3.5", you're probably on your way to Step 3.

3. New speakers in better locations, and bigger speakers (especially up FRONT where the soundstage should be). everything will be amplified by outboard amps, so don't even bother buying a headunit with a built-in amp. You end up with a better deck as a result (more of the material costs go into the remaining electronics). Subwoofers will be part of the equation, and the install will be more complex, due to the new speaker locations. The resulting sound will also be a lot better than Phase 1, but the costs will be a lot higher too.

As with most things (like Horsepower)....everyone has their own idea of how much is enough....or TOO much. Like engines, big stereos cost more money than little stereos... if you can figure out what you really want, it will be easier to make a plan to get there and not be shocked by the costs.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I have Kappas in my other truck and love them.

I'm not sure on the amp. If I get components for the front then I'll probably get a 4 channel amp and run the components and the 6x9's. If I just put 6.5" coaxials in the door, I'll run them off the deck as well as the 6x9's.
    For a sub I was going to add a amplified Bazooka later on and make it to where I can unplug it and unstrap it and pull it out when I need the room.

7. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

i just totally re-did my stereo because when i got it, it was shot. i got JBL 3.5" speakers for the dash, 2 6.5" speakers in the panels in front of back seat, and 2 pioneer 6x9s in the rear taking the place of the stock 4x10s. and i also bought a brand new 4x10 that goes in the middle of the dash...i also added a rockford fosgate CD player. i havent hooked everything up quite yet, but hopefully by thursday when i get some time.

-Doc