Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need to vent...Local 4x4 shops SUCK!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Apr 1, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Okay so this morning I set out to find a hub rebuild kit for my hubs so that I can get the new screws and little o-ring etc. To make a long story short I drove 25miles this morning to 4 different shops only to meet young yota driving %$^#$^#$....most of the guys with the exception of one shop I went to this morning were acting like they were the shiet. Also like blazers weren't worth crap and like I was a complete idiot and rather than needing new hub screws I needed new hubs.
    Okay: They can get away with kiddies getting mommy and daddy to bring their truck to their shops to pay for a lift kit install which should always come with 2 subs, amp ,etc. Also they can get away with ricing out any ford, honda, chevy whatever car some kid wishes was a type R. But to think I am gonna go for their BS.......

Ughhhhh!! What happened to all the real wrench heads that are concerned about what you really need and not what mommy and daddy are gonna buy every curb hopping, 30inch lift, trailer queen, poser's truck thats for sale in a month because it gets 2mpg, too big, and breaks.

Anyone else have this same problem finding quality in a sales dept at local 4x4 places?

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i hear ya. Not to change the subject, but did you ever find the rebuild kit? Im interested casue im missing a few screws and have no idea where to get them....

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Yeah I feel your pain. Most of the local shops here can suck a fat one. $500 for a 4" lift w/blocks in the rear, no shocks, and $400 more for the install. BDS was $700 with blocks.........I found that Pep Boys and AutoZone have the rebuild kits, catch is the idiots dont call them that. They are "service kits" 1pk $7.99 services both hubs. Has all the screws, gaskets, warn sickers, etc. ...... I bought all they had. You might want to contact Warn. They have gotten me parts before in under two days.

4. BowtieBlazer

Yep, all the shops had to order them....the nicer of the shops visited which was the first shop I went to I went all the way across town back to just to give service. He is ordering from warn which has the same internals as my milemarker hubs.

Never knew auto zone had the kits....I'll have to look into that next time. (if there is one)

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I guess i'm lucky. The local 4x4 shop up here is ran by an older guy who is also into 4 wheeling. He gets out on the trails, he's not just some cashregester jockie.

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Advance Auto has the kit too.

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

At least your shop knows or goes out to trails. One of ours knows where some good construction sites are. They have heard of Paragon, doubt they have gone there. Did I mention the flagship vehicle is a 98' Wrangler with a double stacked 3" body lift~total 6", 4" rancho lift, no alxe mods., with 42" tires?

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I feel your pain. Most of the shops in AZ caiter to the posers. There is only one real "hardcore" shop I am aware of in PHX. That is Fourwheelers Supply. But they do mostly custom rockcrawler Heeps. The do good work, but are usually high priced. The rest of the AZ shops are all the 12" IFS lift places that would leave your 10 bolts stock with 42's. They suck. If I don't get my old job back this summer I might apply to one of the poser shops, and try and get some knowledge and more extreme thinking in there. Not to mention cheap parts.

9. BowtieBlazer

whats the specificname?

10. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

The shop closest to me is a poser in it's own right! They seem to specialize in truck caps, nerf bars and KC highlighter covers. Of course they probably sell those nice little rubber carpet protectors also.

They don't sell extended brake lines, that I know.

11. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i agree one of the local guys told me i need ladder bars for my blazer and that would stop my front driveshaft from wobbling when the thing had a 30 degree bend in it.

12. there is a place like that in my town too. they wont give you the time of day unless you are going to have a 6 inch lift put on your $40k truck.... so you can drive to the mall!

13. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

There are many hardcore shops in Phoenix
    Randy Ellis Design
    DCS Welding
    Campbell Enterprises
    FST
    Toybox Offroad
    Toys by Troy
    These are just a few.

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I knew there where more, but didn't know who or where they were. I have had work done at FST before. (Really good work). I hadn't heard of Toybox Offroad until i saw them here. The only shops that I knew of in AZ was were the pretty boy shops, Fourwheeler Supply (friend of my dads was the original owner) and FST because of the work I had done there. FST is more of a fab shop then an actual 4x4 shop. They aren't into the parts end of it much.