Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need TPI smallblock serpentine accesory help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Sep 8, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My friend has a TPI small block in his toyota 4runner and he is wanting to convert it to a serpentine belt setup. I have been told that normal small block accesory brackets will not bolt up to it and that TPI motors only used a serpentine belt for a couple of years. I need to know if normal SBC brackets will fit his motor or if not, what year and what vehicle can we rob a serpentine setup off of. Thanks

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I dont think that the TPI motors are special I think it was the LT1 motors that are special they just happened to have TPI on them. If I am wrong let me know.

P.S. Have you had a chance to ship those parts to me? :D

Ira

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some of the stuff on the TPI is likely to be different, such as the alternator bracket.

TPI block itself is no different than any previous, they started in 1985. (and we are talking up to 1992) Accessory holes and what not in the heads are all the same.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The brackets on the '87 Corvette TPI engine in my K5 are definitely different than the ones on my TBI rigs. But that may have been more due to hood clearance issues than TPI clearance. I've got the serp setup removed from my '90 Sub right now, so I'll do a comparison and see if it looks like it would fit on the TPI engine.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

lt1 motors use diffrent stuff as the pass motor mount is diffrent on block and the pass bracket is totaly diffrent. but to tpi i dont know. and i still have the setup you asked about if you need it.

6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

any third gen camaro (87-92)stuff will work, the TBI camaros used the same brackets as the TPI cars

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It looks like TBI truck brackets won't work. The tension idler sits right where the air inlet needs to connect to the throttle body on a TPI engine. :eek1: The idler is located on the passenger side, under the a/c compressor on the Corvette engine...

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think you will also need a water pump. IIRC serpentine belt WPs run backward from V belt drive.

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep!

I've got a TPI in my truck as well, the biggest thing you are gonna have to watch out for is gonna be things in the way of the throttle body. Other than that, most will work.

Personally, my setup is from a GMC Safari Van with a 4.3. Cept, I had the same problem, and wound up re-routing everything, and adding a second tensioner / idler to clear the throttle body. Works great, and uses a stock belt from any stock 89 truck TBI serp setup. Had to do some bracing using the old school heads I have though. Drilling the holes in your head = hitting the water jacket :doah: so I wound up taking some old 89 style TBI bracket braces, and modifying them to mount onto the aluminum, 2 peice brackets from the Safari.