Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Traction in a bad way!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Apr 12, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright, I just blew my fund for 35's on a new exhaust and I was wondering if I welded my front 10bolt if it would be a big deal. I know they are wussy axles but I don't wheel hard and the 305 only puts out minimal HP. Also, I have stock sized tires so I think it would be alright. What do you think?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Besides not being able to steer, and breaking your front axle every trip you go out wheeling, traction would be outstanding.

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Get one of them Trunk Monkeys to help you push when you get stuck.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get one of them Trunk Monkeys to help you push when you get stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

You always have a way with words /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the words of wisdom...

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Do you have some snow chains? Use them when your offroad. Im from Texas so I dont know anything about snow chains but to me it seams like they would help.

Nick

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I already have a locking device in my front axle, granted it still releases at times when i REALLY need it, but so far it is going ok, it does do some weird things to the steering wheel when turning, but nothing major. I really don't use the front axle until i really need it, this may help in preventing any broken parts. I was going to attempt installing a spool, but i may just do the welded thingymabopdeal. As long as you know when your hubs are locked, i would say just take it slow when turning, and doo your best to stay off concrete,asphalt surfaces.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Let lots of air out when wheelin and use some brake to slow down wheelspin. It helped me the one trip I went with two open axles right after 12 bolt install (on 31's bald ). I have a rear locker again and with that, low psi, and some footwork in cab its working for now until I get front locker (on 33's now though). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well since one day I'll probably go 1 ton, I'll have to replace the 10 bolt anyway so I think I may try to weld er up. I also want to find a posi for the rear of some sort but I need to know how to tell if I have a 10b rear or a 12b? Anyone know anything about this? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You always have a way with words /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend's "Chevy Scout" has the front axle welded.

On my wheelin' trip Saturday he broke it in the first 10 minutes running bald 40" tires.

Fixed that one and broke the other side not more than 2 hours later.

This is not mentioning that he also has damn near no steering ability when the hubs are locked, and unlike an automatic locker, he cannot just unlock the hubs.

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A 10b has 10 diff cover bolts in almost a perfect circle, with one bolt directly at the bottom.

A 12b has 12, but the two bottom bolts are across from each other like this ( . . )

fastest way to tell is to look at the bottom bolts.

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a K5 parked out front with a welded 10 bolt and 31s. It's not too bad steering it on dry asphalt in 4wd as long as the vehicle is running and moving. It takes some steering effort if it's parked and you turn the steering wheel while running. A lot of axleshaft twisting and squealing tires. If the motor isn't running you might as well give up and go outside and kick the tires in the direction you want to turn. It doesn't matter whether it's rolling or not. It'll take a while.

I'm not kidding either. I was expecting something to break between the steering wheel and the steering box because I was trying so hard.

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, here's the thing; I have stock tires that measure about 28" tall. These tires are puny and I think with the minimal wheeling I do it should be ok. But it sounds like this is the way to go.

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well as far as i'm concerned,,, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif there's only one way to find out for sure, thats part of this "hobby" trial and error /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well as far as i'm concerned,,, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif there's only one way to find out for sure, thats part of this "hobby" trial and error /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats a very good point. I think I will do that as soon as I get this exhaust thing out of the way.