Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need trail / club advice

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by MudFrog, Apr 8, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

We have a local trail that is killer but about a year ago the owner closed it off because people were thrashing it (I really don't blame him), but I really miss the trail. A few of us started a 4x4 club locally and we approached him and asked if we could have permission to use the trails for club runs and stuff if we had clean up days as well. He said it sounds fine but he would not allow us to wheel on his land unless we have "Club Insurance". What exactly is needed for club insurance? I have a feeling not enough people would want to pay dues for club insurance, and we wouldn't be able to wheel on his land. Any advice on how to handle the situation or info on club insurance?

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Our Hang Gliding club had a similar problem and we fixed it by getting a waiver printed up for all users of the land to sign. This way the land owner didn't have to worry about being sued by anyone or their family. You can see our waiver at: http://www.theeteam.org/waiver.htm

You are welcome to print it out and edit it for your needs if you like. Maybe he will go for that instead of club insurance.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'll see if I can put this to good use. Thanks!

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

There are also insurance companies out there that deal with nothing but sports and specialty polocies. You might try going to our assotiation's page and email them about who they use. I believe it's: http://www.ushga.org/

With a waiver like we have you might be able to insure your members for 3rd party liability like we do. This covers anything injurious to life or property except for you and the owner. So if someone is on the property and gets run over by one of your members, the owner is covered and so is the person who ran them over.