Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need tranny help fast

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gill, Aug 12, 2001.

1. gill

gill Registered Member

I have a 700 r in my 88 blazer, I just put on the deep pan an external filter and a tranny cooler. Before I did this the tranny was having a hard time downshifting from second i had to do it manualy. Now the tranny doesnt shift out of first till about 4000, I adjusted the tv cable but it didnt change anything there was no diffrence at all, I cracked the lines to make sure i was getting flow to my tranny and the temp. is about 165 Need help fast cause I am heading on a trip tuesday to go back to school. Everything checks out ok im stumped?

Mike
    88 K5 350, "non shifting" 700r, 4 inches, and 35's

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> does it have a vacuum modulator on it ? check the line if it does,,sound's like an air leak or a sticking valve somewhere in the valve body. i can't remember if they have vacuum line or not ? </font color=green>

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like your valve body may be gummed up. Did you use silicone to seal the cover gasket (NEVER use silicone or variants of it to seal a tranny pan gasket, the small chunks get into the tranny and wreak havoc) Bring it to a tranny shop to have it checked (they can pull the valve body without removing the tranny), plus since you messed with the TV cable, I would have them check that as well. As for the earlier reply to your post, there is no modulator on the 700r, so you will not have a vacuum line. Good Luck, I hope it turns out to be something simple for you.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

4. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

just like leadfoot said sounds like something in the valve body is sticking or gummed up. I had a similar problem took pan off cleaned valve body, i installed a B&amp;M transpack shift kit while i had it apart, then I adjusted the tv cable several times. tv cable adjustment is very important on these trannys so i would probably take to shop and have them look at. After i cleaned valvebody and put in shift kit it seemed to shift fine but only lasted a short time afterwards,guess damage was already done try not to drive it too much in this condition thats what killed mine. hope this helps

mudduck

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Maybe dumb, but is the fluid level correct? (I know, it's obvious, but someone's gotta ask). If you're still using the stock internal filter, it will only pick up what's reaching the dipstick line, so dipstick reading is critical. Also, it may have fallen out and into the deeper pan (I've seen guys think the filter is properly seated and only find out it's not when they try to bolt the pan back on and it won't fit. With a deeper pan, you wouldn't get that).
    Personally, I would dump the external filter and stick with only the internal one, depending on where the external is. Was this a kit specifically for tranny's? An external (I'm guessing in-line in the cooling line) filter will probably restrict the cooling line more, resulting in lower pressure, later shifts, and dying tranny symptoms. If this is the case, messing with the TV cable should make a noticable difference, but it'll only be a band aid, and the pressure coming from that line will still be weakened.
    I'm also gonna take the wild and crazy guess that you changed the fluid when you changed the pan (it'd be hard not to...), so I wouldn't immediately think the valve body's in trouble, unless you did use some kind of silicone sealer that contaminated the fluid... Then you might be looking at some big problems... Or the new fluid may really have broken loose some gum...
    First thing I would try is to undo the changes one by one and see if the problem stops. I'd start at the external filter.

Good luck!!

Ratch
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com&gt;k5.8m.com&lt;/a&gt;
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 08/13/01 10:10 AM.</FONT></P>