Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need tranny help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Oct 23, 2003.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm having an issue with my tranny, let me see what ya'll think.

My indicator needle for the gear I'm in does not stay put. It will not stay on "D" it always pops into "OD" when I start off from a stop. Now I do not know if this is just the needle itself or if it's a linkage issue and the tranny actually goes into "OD". I do know however that it is sluggish when I start off almost as if it was in 2nd gear, yet it shifts 3 gears so we are back to the problem is it actually in "D" shifting 3 gears or is it in "OD" starting in 2nd and shifting 3 gears.

This has happened to me one time before and I fixed it, the cause the first time was my tranny mount. The two upper bolts attaching to the tranny itself were loose/missing. One bolt was missing, one bolt had a few threads to go before it fell out. I replaced the bolts and my tranny felt like a dream, the needle stayed put and I felt like I once again had torque in first gear. So, after a weekend of hard wheeling and a little bit of jumping, my tranny is back to it's old ways. Obviously the first thing I checked was my bolts and everything is nice and tight. I do not think it is my tranny mount itself because I've had to replace it 3 times and the symptoms just do not seem like it's the same. I also checked to see if the linkage at the tranny came loose and it was nice and tight with no sign of the little shaft slipping (the bar you have to extend when doing a body lift).

So here it is, I'm going to work on the tranny some more tomorrow, it needs a fluid change and I'm going to change the filter, so I thought this will be the time to really fix it. What do you think?

Oh.. BTW.. When I shift into the low gear "1" on the indicator it sound like a hydraulic or something, almost as if you turned your wheels all the way to one side but it's as far as they will go so you get the little hydraulic sound.

Help Please!!

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you are hearing a pump screaching sound when you lock it in 1st gear I would say something is wrong internally and it may be time for a rebuild. May be a good time to pull the pan and try an oil/filter change if you have not already. While the pan is off check for excess metal or sludge (from burnt friction clutches). Also smell the oil and see if it smells burnt.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    When I shift into the low gear "1" on the indicator it sound like a hydraulic or something, almost as if you turned your wheels all the way to one side but it's as far as they will go so you get the little hydraulic sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most interesting info for me. Is that as soon as you shift into L1 without moving, or once it's moving you get that sound?

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well it never actually goes over the "1" like it should, the needle stops and the truck makes that sound (while the column shifter is under pressure, if I let go it stops). I'll play some more in the morning and see if I have a better way of putting it.