Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Trans Advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 02turbogixxer, Oct 7, 2006.

1. 02turbogixxer

02turbogixxer Registered Member

I have a 4L60E that I lost 2nd, overdrive, and reverse on. I am planning on rebuilding it with the help of my friend who went to Lincoln Tech. He said that since it is his first time to actually rebuild a trans outside of the school that he would only charge me for the parts. Plus I have known him since High School and me and him have been helping each other on both of our cars. I just think I am a little over my head with the whole rebuild so I am going to watch and learn mostly. I remember reading on here about how to rebuild the 4L60E to be more reliable and stronger. I have done a search and I have looked back 15 pages and I still can't find it so if there is someone on here that knows their stuff about the 4L60E please give me some advice on what to purchase to make this trans last until I can afford the 4L80E conversion. I remember reading that I should go with a 8 clutch pack for the 3-4 instead of the 9 because it is better a dissipating heat, but I can't remember everything else that was said and there was ALLOT of info if I remember correctly.

2. 02turbogixxer

Gez, fellas. :what: I am disapointed. I thought for sure that someone would help me out on this. I am guessing that some people just don't get on here on the weekends so I hope that I get some kinda help during the weekdays. If you know anything about putting upgrades into the 4L60E PLEASE just let me know what I can do to beef it up since I am going to have it apart anyway.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

it all depends how much power you are looking to put into the tranny, if you plan on going 4l80 and have a pretty stock motor i would nto worry about beffing up the 4l60E, in stock form they can handle a good amount of power, as for the clutch plates you don't want to reduce the number becasue you loose surface area, the holding power of the clutches is a function of surface area

4. 02turbogixxer

No it is not reducing the surface area. It is going from 5 plates (stock) to 8 plates. There was a 9 plate option which was not recomended when I read the other thread because it didn't disapate heat well and ultimately wasn't was strong as the 8 plates.

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

ah ok i thought you said that you were going from a 9 to a 8

6. 02turbogixxer

No problem I figured that is what you might have thought. I wish I could find that thread and the guy that gave all the advise on rebuilding it. He said he had been rebuilding transmissions for many years and gave a lot of good advise on how to make the 4L60E strong and last alot longer than stock. I really am kicking my self in the butt for not subscribing to that thread when I saw it.

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Um, could be a 12v problem, not getting 12 volts or a broken sun shell.

Ignition switch could be bad.