Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need transmission experts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MontanaLifted, Mar 25, 2003.

1. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

I have a 350 engine, a turbo 350 tranny, and a NP203 transfer case. I want a 4 speed tranny. I have heard that for some years the turbo 400's were 4 speeds.
    As for 700R4's I have heard nothing but problems with those and I have been told they won't bolt up with my NP203 without calling Advanced Adapters for a new spindle shaft.

Please help???!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the only 4 speed "400" is a 4L80E. With the 700R, a well built and maintained model will last, but towing in OD, driveing around town in OD, not having a cooler or trans temp guage, these are all things that will kill them. The addition of the 208 behind them makes the "poor man's doubler" with thier low gearing.

Also, with the OD, you can run 5.13's and use OD with 37's. If you get into the 40" tire range, you will not be pulling enuff RPM's with those monsters to pop it into OD, so the money can be better spent elsewhere, IMHO. Like a well built TH350 or TH400.

there are 400/203 combo's but you will find price and parts availibility are high and low, respectively.

3. MontanaLifted

I'm leaning toward the Turbo 400. You say it's a 4L80E? Is it a GM standard for this tranny to bolt to a small block on the front and an NP203 on the rear or am I going to have to change out shafts???

The more info I can get from everyone the better!

Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. MontanaLifted

Does anyone have any information or a link where I might be able to do research on GM transmissions and/or transfer cases?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif