Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED TURBO DIESEL INFO

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cua757, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Cua757

Cua757 Registered Member

I am looking to buy a K5 and have found one that sounds like a pretty good deal. 86 turbo diesel Jimmy - new transmission, interior good, body solid. 4 inch lift, 33 inch tires, rancho suspension, good paint, custom rollbar, highway gears, well cared for. the only problem is that it sometimes misses around 60km/hour. this happens infrequently. I tend to think that maybe the injectors need to be cleaned/replaced, or the fuel pump is worn, or it might just be a clogged filter. I am no expert, and would appreciate any info as I have very little time to think about the purchase. The owner wants 4500 canadian for it. Does this sound like a reasonable deal?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Another Albertan!!!! WOW!!! First of all, I don't think your motor is stock, the guy must have swapped in the 6.5. The factory diesel motor for your truck was a 6.2. Anyway, I would change out both fuel filters and check the air filter, too. The fuel filters should be changed every 25k and the air filter when it needs it(Diesels need lots of air- I change mine every 3 or 4 months). 6.5's do have a bad rep for injector and pump failure, but most problems are probably due to the fact that people don't maintain them enough. You should also run a diesel fuel additve to keep the pump lubricated, as diesel today is low-sulphur and dries the pump out quicker. Injector will run you about $80 a piece and the injection pump is worth around $1100. So keep your maintenance up!!!

$4500 seems like a pretty good price to me. Almost too good..... maybe ask the guy if you can take it to a local diesel shop and get it checked out- there may be a reason the price is so low.....

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

4. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Banks turbo was a dealer installed option for 6.2 but I don't know what year it started being offered.

SteveB