Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need U-joint Help Asap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_mud_84, Feb 23, 2006.

1. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

i got a rear driveshaft today for my 4wd 78 truck outta a 89 to 93 chev pickup 4x4 something like that, now its the right length and all and the slip yoke is fine goin into the t-case but its the rear part that goes to the differential. both trucks are 1/2tons, but the old u-joints that i had in my old driveshaft the u-joint and u-joint caps are smaller then this other driveshaft i got today. also the caps on the new d-shaft are a bit smaller then a 3/4ton cap but a bit bigger then the caps on my old d-shaft. so im confused. so is there a special ujoint i could get that has one size cap on one side and the other size cap on the other? or should i just get the 1/2ton to 3/4ton conversion u-joint (napa#447?) since im putting 3/4ton axles in my truck in the next month or so? need to know asap so i can drive my truck.
    thanks
    josh

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like you have a 1310 and 1350. Just get the conversion joint and you'll be set.

3. chevy_mud_84

so the ujoint i need is 1310 and 1350, now is that for doing the 1/2ton to 3/4ton swap or is that for the 1/2ton to 1/2ton?

4. koldsimer

I would be 99% sure that this is a 1310 and 1350. There is no way to be sure unless you measure them. There is a u-joint chart over on pirate somewhere that will tell you exactly what you have.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Chart at Tom Wood's also

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

IF its a 88-93 driveshaft , its not 1310 , its s44 ( like 1330 but different , its a GM thang ) . So you need a different conversion joint to go from that to a 1350 .

I know the part # is in the post yer part number thread , quote the band member :

it is a Saginaw S44 joint.

You need the Saginaw S44 joint to 1350 which is posted above, 2-1153

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The new driveshaft he has should be the S44 size u-joint (close to 1330, but not the same). He states the old truck is also a 1/2 ton and had smaller u-joints to begin with.......I believe 1310's were pretty common and would be about one size smaller.

Sounds like he needs an S44 to 1310 conversion joint. I can't say if they exist or not because I've never looked for one...........

8. koldsimer

I believe that you guys are correct.

9. chevy_mud_84

well i looked for these part numbers and we dont even list them where i work, i may have to search around the area more. but also ive been trying to take the old u-joints outta the new d-shaft and they wont come out its weird there is no clip that hols the cap inplace on the d-shaft yoke. but i see these like holes in the sides of the yoke that look like it has screws threw it but the heads where broke off. i finally got one ujoint out on the slip yoke end and those holes look like they where drilled or punched out our even taken out if it was a screw in there. the ujoint cap even has a ring around it that has the small hole in each side. i dont get it, there is no spot in this yoke for a snap ring of any sort. and the end of the caps have a weird shaped S with a circle around it. im lost i dunno what to do about finding a ujoint or getting one to work anymore.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The joints on the new shaft, if original, most likely had a molten plastic/epoxy type stuff used to retain them vs. any type of clips.....and most likely what you are seeing on the sides of the yokes (ref. to the broken off screw looking stuff). You typically either need a big press or some heat to get them off.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yes if he stays 12 bolt , but I thought he wants 3/4 ton axles next month , thats the number I gave him :D

And they do exist , I have one on my spare shaft . s44 to 1310 . I forgot my number though . It does go XX - 1153 , where xx is different . I want to say 0-1153 , but may be a 1-1153 :dunno: have to look at the part number post , or dig up my spare box at bottom of trail box