Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need "understanding" inspection shop in Collin County TX

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jan 11, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Need \"understanding\" inspection shop in Collin County TX

I put this in another post, but thought I would ask it direct here, too. Here's the deal...

Next weekend I am dropping in a new 350. With the excpetion of no smog pump and AIR and dual cats versus one, the engine is completely emissions legal. My current inspection expires in May. To keep from dealing with any issues for a bit, I am going to go ahead and get my rig inspected before the engine swap. That gives me a one year buffer.

Last week I removed the belt from my smog pump. I did this because I had to replace the alternator belt and as a test. I figure if I go and get it inspected and it passes with something as obviously disconnected as a smog pump with no belt, then there is no way they will notice something is up when there is no evidence of a smog pump or AIR.

So, I am looking for recommendations to an inspection facility in Collin County Texas to "try out", so to speak, either this weekend or early next week. Anybody got any thoughts?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: Need \"understanding\" inspection shop in Collin County TX

boy what your really looking for is someone to inspect your rig illegally-- and you want them to post here? LOL!!! I can't help you cause I'm in Vermont, but I do know when we had our 'vette, our sticker was up in October, we parked it on October 30 every year, and always got it inspected BEFORE we parked it- one year, we had some pretty bald tires- but didn't want to put new ones on at 300 bucks apiece to have it sit all winter- so we "paid a little extra" to get our sticker.LOL I have to do the same thing with the Blazer, no mud flaps, and dual cats,, the extra $$ is worth it to me, I don't have to worry about it till the next year- and I'll just keep going to the same guy ! LOL good luck

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

3. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

too bad my ex moved to tenn. she used to do them over in f/w, used to pass all my stuff for me, of course she wanted to stay on my good side since I have custody LOL

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Try the Oil Well, in McKinney .
    Helps if you get the oil changed as well
    Good luck

5. CODave73Jimmy

CODave73Jimmy Registered Member

Re: Need

Try this. Remove the sticker that shows the emissions routing (should be on the radiator core support) before you go in for emissions. And make sure you dont have any disconnected vac. lines laying out easy to see. Most emissions inspectors look at the sticker to see what is supposed to be there. If it blows clean they probably wont even notice the missing components.. Good Luck...

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I run dual cats and headers on my 89..no smog pump....(don't think mine ever had one)......ran headers and no cats on my 79 (Muddin's truck), and have never had a problem at the Oil change on Virginia near the Dairy Queen.......they do check that I have all my heat riser stuff on my stock air cleaner, but the cats, etc have never been an issue.......did you know that in May, Collin County starts the sniffer like in Dallas?.....mine is up in Aug, but I'm gonna go ahead and get it inspected just before the sniffer goes into effect......I'm suckin' oil past the guides on my 120K motor, so I'd like to buy a little more time myself....one of the guys I work with knows about a shop up in Van Alstyne that is fairly casual about inspections....I'll try to remember to ask next time I see him........

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian...why not take a nice senic trip up to Sherman (Grayson county) where we don't need no stinkin' emission inspection? If it rolls and stops you're good to go! Heck, stop in Van Alstyne....save ya 5 more miles!

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian...why not take a nice senic trip up to Sherman (Grayson county) where we don't need no stinkin' emission inspection? If it rolls and stops you're good to go! Heck, stop in Van Alstyne....save ya 15 more miles!

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

NOT, aleast when I lived in Sherman(96-97)
    Those country people could read real well, showed me the Law
    said vehicle must have all O.E.M. installed and working, to get Saftey Sticker.
    My Holley Pro-Jection was a Carb. but no one would beleive me.
    Drove to Denision, and passed the first time.